Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy) Next: RE: [SG2]: GSM/P Question

Re: Battlefleet Mars

From: "Kevin Walker" <sage@m...>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 01:25:27 -0600
Subject: Re: Battlefleet Mars

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@dynamite.com.au>

> Excellent game, the only 3-D boardgame that I've played that really
> works. Newtonian movement +3D makes for very interesting defence
games,
> where the defender must first go out , then kill the velocity, and
come
> back in in order to effectively engage the attacker. Difficult, as
fuel
> is limited.
> OTOH as most kills are Mobility kills, it behooves the attacker to
make
> sure that he's going in the right direction and speed to attack the
> objective when he meets the opposing fleet, otherwise he just won't
have
> enough firepower to zap the defences when the fleet gets there.
There'll
> be lots of drifting ships far from the action on both sides.
> What makes things more interesting is the fact that in many cases, the
> attacker is only trying to sucker the defending fleet out of position
> and defeat it in detail: he knows he can't win against the opposing
> fixed defences. In others, he really wants to avoid the enemy fleet,
he
> just wants to raid the defences with minimum losses.

I remember seeing more ships drift out of the battle than being
destroyed.

One of they're best game IMHO.	In fact somehow I ended up with two
copies
of this fine game after buying a number of items in a game auction in
Seattle three or four years ago.  Now if only I could find an interested
opponent in SE Minnesota.

Another interesting facet was the difference in weaponry on the two
opposing
sides.	IIRC (it's been a few years since I played) in the later stages
of
the game one side develops a viable fighter and the other side uses
nukes on
missiles (nasty, very nasty).

Kevin Walker
Mac / Windows Software Developer
sage@millcomm.com
Rochester   MN	 USA

Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy) Next: RE: [SG2]: GSM/P Question