Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy) Next: Buck Rogers

Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

From: ShldWulf@a...
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 22:25:50 EST
Subject: Re: Strategic Thrust using BR25

In a message dated 4/1/99 12:53:46 PM Mountain Standard Time,
atomicat@geocities.com writes:

> > I've looked at the board for sometime now, trying to envision how
the
> > 'paths' would work; I would like the 'between' orbit paths to be a
little
> > more constricted, with the 'steep' paths for moving in-system, the
more
> > shallow, at least in outer orbits, going out-system. I've mentioned
playing
> > with the board several times, and still haven't, so it continues to
be
> > wishful thinking only.

>Restricting movement on the between orbit paths sounds like a good
idea. I
don't
>have my BR25 game with me at present, but I've already made a note to
myself
> to take a look at that possibility.  It isn't that much more complex
and
might add
> another interesting level of play.

>> Gradation between thrusts for movement isn't something I'd
considered,
>> strategic movement being different than combat, but I'd go along
with,
>>maybe, two steps for 5+, one step for everyone else.

>The idea I had was that the ships were moving using Newtonian physics.
As
such,
>the ships that possess the higher thrust (Pronounced "acceleration.")
could
get
>wherever they were going much more quickly than the lower thrust ships.
Of
>course, if you are using Cinematic movement rules, I have no idea how a

gravitic
>drive would effect travel times, so feel free to choose the one that
seems
right to
>you.

Having just purchased the game (again, I can't belive I got rid of it
the
first time) from EBay, and for the same purpose, hope you don't mind if
chime in here..

I was figuring on the ships being unable to do constant accelleration,
so
your fleet speed, (using the lowest thrust in the fleet) determined the
"orbital track) you could take. Higher thrusts could take a more direct
orbit, while low thrusts had to take more "Homann" type orbits to reach
thier
target planet.

If your using the gravitic drives, then you should be pretty much able
pick and choose a path.

I'd also considered adding some rules for detection and stealth. It
might be
possible for the various planets to know your coming, or for you to hide
as
you come in. I'd also considered adding an ability to have a "passing"
fight
if two fleets were traveling through the same circle along the path. No
actual stand up fights as the transfer velocity would be too high.

 >I like the intercept rules.

As do I. It gives a "reason" to have those high thrust home defense
ships :o)

>I'm envisioning small fleets fighting with a victory condition that can
be
achieved
>within 8-12 hours of play, i.e. within one day.
>I'd love to be able to play in a much longer campaign game that lasted
for
months of
>afternoon and weekend battles, but I'm having enough trouble finding
one
person to
>play Full Thrust for a few hours.

The main reason I bought the game again :o)
And I hear you about finding players.

Randy

Prev: Re: Strategic Thrust using Buck Rogers Board (was [FH] Full Diplomacy) Next: Buck Rogers