Prev: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? Next: Re: Manufacturers and boxes

Manufacturers and boxes

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:17:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Manufacturers and boxes

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 06:42:13 -0600 devans@uneb.edu wrote:

Quoting me:
>> Phil, wishing that manufacturers would get over the
size-it-to-fit-the-box mentality.... <<

> Well, I could go into some comments about standardization, marketing,
shelf space, etc., let's say I'd rather they'd get away from the 'let
us see how much empty box space we can get away with to inflate the
visual impact of this dog.' <

I agree with you, mostly. BUT, I'd much rather have a larger box with
empty space in it and the contents sized "properly", i.e., to a
consistent scale, than to have the _box_ a standard size and the model
therein made any old size. Sometimes, SF models are the last bastion of
this practice -- that, let it be noted, died out in _other_ modelling
genres years ago.

The various Viper and Raider models are a case in point; neither the
Monogram nor the Comet ships are in scale with one another. Nor were
the original Star Wars X-wing and TIE fighter. And AMT were notorious
for the peculiar range of scales that they chose for their Star Trek
kits, odds examples like the TOS Enterprise and Klingon BC being the
rare exception. They've improved somewhat of late, but not much -- of
course, my wish for a 1/1400 DS9 (to be in scale with the
Enterprise-C, -D and -E) is a bit unreasonable -- it would be over a
metre in diameter! <g> Of course, a 15-inch one that's in scale with my
Gamescience/Task Force/Galoob ST minis would be nice....

> On a related note: Just picked up BattleFleet Gothic(my caps), and
give it points for a relatively small box crammed pretty full. I'm not
gushing about the ships nor entirely comfortable with the $60 price
tag, but I've done far worse. <

Hmmm. From the sound of that, the US version uses a _much_ smaller box
than the UK packaging, which looks to me to have a lot of empty space
in it. And $60 is not a bad price compared with £40, particularly at
the current exchange rate. Methinks the Evil Empire is being a little
bit greedy over here.... (so what else is new?)

Phil
"I think... I think I am!     |        I think _I_ am:
 Therefore I am... I think?"  | 	Phil Atcliffe
   -- The Moody Blues	      | (Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Prev: Re: [OT] BFG Questions ? Next: Re: Manufacturers and boxes