Prev: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs... Next: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

RE: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:35:30 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

At 02:58 PM 3/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Then again it's not physically impossible to have more than
>two 360 degree turrets in a pseudo-2D world, you just
>stack them on top of each other.  You end up with a ship
>that looks like a pile of checkers, but each would be able
>to fire all around, but only the end two would get to fire
>directly up or down.

Or, take... um... I think it was the ships in Piers Anthony's Space
Tyrant
series, that were spheres with rotating belts?	Something like that,
anyway.

Or try this reasoning for allowing many 360 degree weapons: they're not
all
the same gun.  Personally, I'll abstract a fair number of weapons out,
especially if I'm trying to make a design based on a miniature.  As in,
"these two weapons on opposite sides of the bridge structure I'll count
as
one 360 degree weapon."  Sure, you lose a bit of flexability, but so
what?
If you want to, you can... that's the wonder of the system.

Besides, I can't get the image of a Gunstar-like ship where each gunner
has
a set of weapons available, and just spin 'round and 'roudn and 'round
shooting at whatever's in their field of view at the time. ^_^	I guess
that's not loads of 6-arc weapons, but close enough....  (Now who
knows/remembers what a Gunstar is? ^_^; )

Later,

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net
LAUNCH DAY!
A totally unprovoked attack on peaceful neighbors. Must be the race
file. Does strange things.
		--Rick Kucejko, on the War Monger PRT in Stars!

Prev: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs... Next: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...