Prev: Re: Operational scale Next: Hell in Microcosm

Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:34:41 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

Donald Hosford wrote:
...Snip...JTL

> I stand corrected...Sorry!  I retract the last sentence.

XXX
     Please remain seated.   JTL
XXX
...Snip...JTL
> Concerning these "pitch maneuvers"...I take it that so long as you are
just
> "rocking" the ship, no maneuver points are required.	Does the "Roll
> maneuver" given in the fleet book cover a ship flipping end for end?
This
> would let a ship turn around faster...instead of course changing to
turn
> around...could this open up a new avenue for abuse?

XXX
     Caution, Pun zone ahead!

To rock, you gotta roll!    JTL

The Roll maneuver in the rules allows you to exchange
the right and left side of the ship.   I.E. you turn
the SSD over to see the new weapon arcs.

The actual 'end for end' rotation can be accomplished
in the yaw or pitch axis with the application of the
thrust as specified by the rules.

The pitch/yaw required for the firing of weapons 'in a line'
could be on the order of a few degrees of pitch, yaw or
pitch and yaw.	 Since the lowest recordable value of change
of angle is 30 degrees (15 if you round up) any change of
7 or less degrees would not be recordable, but would
open the target up for fire from the 'in line' weapons.  JTL
XXX
> Thanks for your enlightenment.  I am not above apologizing/admiting I
made a
> mistake.  I like this list, and the FT game too much to let anything
ride...

XXX
     You made no error, this level of accuracy is lost
in the scale of the game.   (But the nitpickers can eat one alive
if these SMALL things are not considered.)   :-)   JTL
XXX
> (Who am I...I am a social barbarian!
XXX
     If you insist.   :-)   JTL
XXX
So mistakes are a natural state of
> mind....I think.)

XXX
     This is only a natural orderly fuctioning of the laws of Chaos. JTL
XXX
> Donald Hosford

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Operational scale Next: Hell in Microcosm