Prev: Re: Operational scale Next: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:53:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...

John Leary wrote:

>      (Note: I don't really disagree with the concepts presented
> in the text.	 And if I was presented with these ships as an
> enemy force... I really don't think I would care.)

The Variable Firearcs rules should be seriously playtested, more than
the
few weapons mounts I have messed with.	I would appreciate any feedback.

> CHEAT DESIGN CENTRAL IS ONLINE.
>
> 1. I think the correct phrase is: In my view, no ship should
>    be equipped with more the two 360 arc weapons.

I stand corrected...Sorry!  I retract the last sentence.

(NOTE TO SELF:	Reread EVERY email I write!)

> 2. You are thinking in two axis mode (yaw and roll),
>    you forgot the pitch axis.

> 3. A large number of 360 arc weapons can be mounted on a ship
>    in a line (think star destroyer bottom), and all have 360
>    arc coverage.   The secret is to do pitch corrections to
>    uncover the required arcs for fire.   These corrections
>    are (in the scale of FT/MT/FB) so small that thrust (points)
>    would not be required to make them.
>
> CDC is offline.
>
> Bye for now,
> John L.

Oy!  I am so used to dealing with 2d movement systems, that I didn't
even
consider these pitch maneuvers.  I have been timid towards 3d systems
because of the extra dimension of complexity required.	(I hope this
explains my mental block...)

Concerning these "pitch maneuvers"...I take it that so long as you are
just
"rocking" the ship, no maneuver points are required.  Does the "Roll
maneuver" given in the fleet book cover a ship flipping end for end?
This
would let a ship turn around faster...instead of course changing to turn
around...could this open up a new avenue for abuse?

Thanks for your enlightenment.	I am not above apologizing/admiting I
made a
mistake.  I like this list, and the FT game too much to let anything
ride...

(Who am I...I am a social barbarian!  So mistakes are a natural state of
mind....I think.)

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Operational scale Next: Re: [FT]Variable Fire Arcs...