Prev: Re: Weapon Naming Madness!! Next: Re: [FT]Ship Names of WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

Re: [FT]Ship Names of WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

From: KueckH@a...
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 13:01:06 EST
Subject: Re: [FT]Ship Names of WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

Hi !!!

> However, from translations of Breyer's works, I thought Panzershiff
> was used for battleships, after WWI where they seemed to have been
> called Linieschiff, and Panzerkruezer for armored/battlecruisers.
> Of course, assume ANY German I've attempted to spell to have been
> incorrect.
Linienschiffe (Ships of the Line) are pre-dreadnought battleships...

Panzerschiffe is a new class designation invented for the "Pocket
Battleships"
of the Deutschland class (Deutschland/Lützow; Admiral Graf Spee und
Admiral
Scheer)

Panzerkreuzer is armored cruiser (altough some people call the
Panzerschiffe
so)

Battlecruiser is Schlachtkreuzer

>>	I think the term used for battleships is: Schlactshiff.
>
> The correct German  for Battleship is Schlacht-shiff.

The correct german spelling for Battleship is: Schlachtschiff (yes, I am
sure...)
...plural: Schlachtschiffe

Tschüß !!!
Hauke

Prev: Re: Weapon Naming Madness!! Next: Re: [FT]Ship Names of WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)