Prev: Re: [FH] Fleet Size: Alarishi Next: Re: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

Re: [FT]Ship Names of WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:25:19 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT]Ship Names of WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)

devans@uneb.edu wrote:
...  Snip...JTL
Some names
> also showed up in the second war. The heavy cruiser, almost
> pocket BB, that accompanied Bismark on it's dash for open waters
> was named Prinz Eugen.

XXX
     The Prinz Eugan was a heavy cruiser, the 'pocket battleships'
should be referred to as Armored Cruisers (Panzerschiff).   JTL
XXX
> I'm not conversant in German, but I believe Herzog means Duke.
> Could Erzherzog be Grand Duke?
XXX
     Could also be called 'Prince'.   JTL
XXX

> Come to think of it, when you refer to Wellington in German, is
> it Herzog Eisen?
XXX
     While by no means an expert in German; 'Der Eisen Herzog'
might be closer.  (The Iron Duke)   JTL
XXX

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: [FH] Fleet Size: Alarishi Next: Re: [FT]Ship Names of the Nations - WWI Austro-Hungary (Long)