Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #219 Next: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits

Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:07:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits

>I wasn't objecting so much to the GNP/new equipment cost/maintanence
info
>(which, BTW, I found very useful, thanks) but the following para:
>
>>So to put it in the simplified form you asked for, 1 million
population
>>usually results in about 1300 MCr (130 points) of ships and 1 line
battalion
>>with support units.
>
>If you go with the Israeli model, 1 Mpop will provide *much* more than
only
>one battalion. I'd play with numbers now, but I've got to go to work.
>Tonight I'll try to do a little research and post what I come up with.

Right, but I was saying (before *I* went to work) that a national
service
plan like that costs more as far as GNP (a lot of labor that could go to
production instead goes to boot camp) but the maintenance is lower
(because
the equipment isn't used as often, not as much ammo fired, don't have to
house the troops etc).	  I don't know how far you can take the Israeli
analogy because I don't know how dependent their economy is on US loans
and
gifts.	You could reasonably assume 10% of the population is fit for
military service and give them maybe a month of militia training per
year.
(No disparagement intended, you'd get ""regular" or "veteran" militia if
you
work at it).

Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #219 Next: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits