Prev: FB Sa'Vasku URL Request Next: RE: Scattergun Symbol

RE: [FH] Dollars to Credits

From: Binhan Lin <Lin@R...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:50:46 -0700
Subject: RE: [FH] Dollars to Credits

Then there is the question of training.  National Guard units that
really only
get a few days of training a month and maybe a two week stint once a
year
is not going to compare to the front line units who have constant
training,
both
physically and mentally.  It's one thing to count bodies, but troop
quality
stands
for a lot, as evidenced by the Gulf War.

Sure you might field several hundred thousand troops, but how many are
going
to stand up to assault by an armored brigade?  Whereas a line troop
might break
even, it's going to take quite a few reservists to have the same effect,

especially
with second line weapons.

I would think the difference between reservists and line troops is
probably the
same as a green recruit fresh out of bootcamp and veterans who had been
in
action for a few months.  The recruit may know which end of the gun is
dangerous, but the details of survival and effectiveness in the field
and in
action against the enemy are missing.  I would tend to rate such
formations
made
from reservists as "Green".

--Binhan