Prev: Re: [FT] KV Fighters - was Re: Schoon's KV Playtest Designs Next: Re: [FT] KV Fighters

Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:58:09 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

G'day Schoon,

I know Derek asked the questions in the first place, but I thought it
might
help if you got an idea of how it is at our place.

>Consider that for most mere mortals, a 6x4 foot table is the biggest
>available.

Luckily we have a 6x9 foot table.

>Most use inches for MUs

Us too.

>meaning that the largest possible starting distance is roughly 60 to
66"
>(assuming you don't get tricky and try the diagonal). Most start
> somewhat closer, because the longest ranged
>"standard" weapon is the Class 3 Beam at 36".

We do often start on the diagonal. However I think that accidently grew
out
of the fact that even with 2 of those (terrific) geohex star mats side
by
side we still end up with a strip of bare table on either end (which is
perfect for paper/dead ships/counters etc.).

>Most battles I've seen tend to have 3 phases:
>1) Approach maneuvering
>2) Approach combat to passing combat
>3) Turning combat and/or mopping up
>The ranges tend to close until very small, and then reopen only as much
as
>turning limits.

I've seen a lot of those too - especially when the guys square off -
though
I prefer to stay out about 24-30" and use my SMs/speed with the odd
sprint
straight through the middle at high speed (so my submunition packs can
have
a go).

>Adding a weapon which is usable during "approach maneuvering" when no
other
>weapons systems have the range could be quite unbalancing if not looked
at
>very carefully.

I agree with you here, but as I use a reasonable number of ER SMs the
potential for imbalance is reduced in our case.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FT] KV Fighters - was Re: Schoon's KV Playtest Designs Next: Re: [FT] KV Fighters