Prev: Scattergun Symbol Next: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits

Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:18:41 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

>>I don't understand this. I THINK it says roll 1d6-1 for each
>>attecking missile, and then add a d6 roll. If the result is >6
>>then you killed it...
>>It seems needlessly complicated. An alternate might be to
>>simply say that an SML on target for a missile destroys that
>>one missile. It's going to be difficult enough to employ this
>>effectively, why add more uncertainty with lots of dice.
>>Unless, of course, you're just trying to make sure that
>>no one tries it.

>As for adding uncertainty I've never been one for a sure thing, even if
>there are SMs on target they still have to manuever to score a hit.
>Assuming a average number of 3 SMs on target, a roll of 3 is required
on
>the second dice to kill a MT missile (roll of 3 + DM of 3 SMs on target
=
>6). And I don't think two dice qualifies as 'lots'.

IMO this is too many dice for the interaction. I suspect it could be
simplified. However, if that's the way you want to go at it...

>Which brings me to another question at what ranges do people normally
>expect games of 'Full Thrust' to be fought out at? And what general
>concepts would people use to acheive this 'optimal range'?

Consider that for most mere mortals, a 6x4 foot table is the biggest
available. Most use inches for MUs, meaning that the largest possible
starting distance is roughly 60 to 66" (assuming you don't get tricky
and
try the diagonal). Most start somewhat closer, because the longest
ranged
"standard" weapon is the Class 3 Beam at 36".

Most battles I've seen tend to have 3 phases:
1) Approach maneuvering
2) Approach combat to passing combat
3) Turning combat and/or mopping up

The ranges tend to close until very small, and then reopen only as much
as
turning limits.

Adding a weapon which is usable during "approach maneuvering" when no
other
weapons systems have the range could be quite unbalancing if not looked
at
very carefully.

Schoon

Prev: Scattergun Symbol Next: Re: [FH] Dollars to Credits