Prev: Re: WARHEAD IMPACT! (was Re: (Con) GZGECC2: JON-DON'T READ!) Next: Re: [FT]Fleet sizes...

Re: Dirtside II optional rules

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:43:49 +1300
Subject: Re: Dirtside II optional rules

James Whitehead <djwj@eazy.net> wrote:
>I'd like to get some feedback on these "House Rules" that I have played
with in other groups
    Here goes!

>Ignore the barrel limitation
>    I almost always fall under the limit of one barrel per class, but
there
are those special purpose tanks that scream for defensive systems to
fill
the excess spaces (class 2 and 3 GMS carriers in particular). An option
kicked around we never had to worry about exceeding was to exempt PDS,
APFC,
and LAD systems as they cannot be used offensively, instead of a global
removal of the limit.
    I would count only offensive systems towards the limit. Ignore the
limit
for defensive systems, unless they are the main offensive weapon. For
example: the size 2 vehicle with 5 LAD on board, or the size 1 Forward
Observer vehicle with quad APSW plus the free APSW. These two examples
are
gross and it's clear the defensive systems are being used offensively.
The
first vehicle would be better as a size two vehicle with twin LAD plus
infantry perhaps. The other vehicle would hold twin APSW (plus free
APSW)
and a scout team (capacity two infantry team).
    How ever, a system like the WWII American quad .50 calibre mounted
on a
half track (size 2) should be workable using my ADS/ZAD any weapon rules
available on my site.

>GMS and multiple targets
>You pay for guidance with every launcher, I think you should be able to
target as many of the enemy as you have guidance and firecon.
>    ex: 2GMS/H and a MDC 5 with superior firecon targeting three
targets
    I agree, provided the multiple targets can fit in the same 90 degree
arc - not necessarily with respect to the firing vehicle's arcs if using
GMS. Have a look at the multiple target rules I've got on my site.

>Armor arcs
>90 degree frontal armor, regardless of the shape of the figure. The
Full
Thrust second edition course guide gives a good arc for measurement.
I've
got some old wedge shaped grav tanks that figuring frontal armor through
the
diametrically opposed corners means that you can only hit the frontal
armor
if you are within one inch and directly in front of the tank.
    Yes. +/- 45 degrees of straight ahead. I also let fixed mounts fire
out
of the same arc.

>Riverine craft speeds and Engines
>    DS2 gets really fuzzy here. No engine requirements are stated for
any
riverine mobility types, and movements are subjective for the vehicle's
design. essentially a civilian fishing boat (8"BMF) could cost the same,
or
more, as a military landing craft (15"BMF). So a good rule is to
separate
the three engine types, with the three movement factors (CFE: 8", HMT:
12",
FGP: 15")

>Who uses boats anyways right? In a campaign where we were amassing
technology to design new vehicles with we had to drop a whole session
while
everybody went home to re-design their boats for a banana republic raid.

    Use RSW hovercraft if you're poor, or GRAV if you're rich. I would
only
use boats if I were a very poor defender.
    Large vessels like ships or brown water naval vessels are another
matter. That size of vehicle isn't handled by DSII. They are almost like
floating platforms or fortresses that can move over water with multiple
turrets.

>Okay that's enough for now. I've got more where that came from
including
new systems for Jumpjets, vehicular assault weapons, and some rules to
give
more options for Combat Walkers (A whole third of my vehicle collection
is
CWs, Battletech and Mekton do that.)
    Sounds great! Please post them! I want to see my 'mechs fly! :-)

Sounds like you're doing some big battles. Currently, we have 15,000
points
per side, for our DSII battles. What are your battles like?

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/

Prev: Re: WARHEAD IMPACT! (was Re: (Con) GZGECC2: JON-DON'T READ!) Next: Re: [FT]Fleet sizes...