Prev: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules!

Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

From: Jerry Han <jhan@c...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:58:20 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

devans@uneb.edu wrote:
> Oerjan:
> ***
> So, you haven't used more than 100% of the total thrust power of the
> ship, but you have used up 200% of the *time* available in a single
game
> turn - unless, of course, your ship manages to face in two separate
> directions at once (but if it does, I'd say it is badly broken <g>).
> ***
>
> This assumes that, as I was assuming, that the max thrust is the full
> thrust that a CONTINUOUS burning engine throttled at full will put
> out over the course of the turn. According to others, this is not the
> way the rules are written. More a burp thrust.

I thought that was just a suggestion; nobody's ever actually come out
and said 'FT engines work like this...', so nobody knows.  (At least,
I don't remember Jon T. saying anything like this... can anybody who's
got a copy of FT, FT 2nd Ed., or FB clarify?)

> Jerry, you CAN do what you suggest, IF you can rotate, push, rotate
> back again.
>
> Do the rules say you can't?

If memory serves, it says 'there are three different types of pushes...'
which
pretty well says 'you can't.'

And there's a difference between the push forward, and what you suggest.

With a rotate, push, rotate, I lose two points of thrust in the
rotation.
I just want to burn.  Full burn.  Full throttle on the main engine,
full throttle on all the thrusters, throw things out the windows
backwards as
hard as you can.  Burn, baby, burn!  (8-)

Push forward doesn't address the problem with rotating 90 and pushing,
because
I would do that if I needed to pick up velocity, but rotate to face the
enemy.	(Though you could rewrite your orders so that, instead of:
MD6, RP3, PS2, you could write MD6, PF2, RP3.  Both have the same net
effect at the end of the turn, but one looks physically possible.  (8-)
)

I think it's just an artifact of the system, like it or not, and if you
don't
like it, house rule it.  Everybody's done that with everything else in
FT
at one point or another.  (8-)

J.

--
/ Jerry Han -  CANOE Canada - jhan@canoe.ca -
http://people.canoe.ca/jhan \

Prev: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: [OT] Jon Tuffley Made It Into Murphy's Rules!