Prev: Re: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!! Next: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

Long Range ADAF (LRDFC) (Was: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!!)

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:06:23 -0500
Subject: Long Range ADAF (LRDFC) (Was: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!!)

Jon Said:
> I've always been more of the opinion that 'big' batteries being used
as anti-
> fighter weaponry was more down to focusing and target tracking
problems as
> much as anything to do with the 'method of attack'. If you work out
your
> angles of arc a fighter close in moving even vaguely could translate
to an
> object at typical 'ship combat' distance moving at what I believe Mel
Brooks
> described as 'ludicrous speed'.

Agreed.
I'd thought about this too, some, and came up with this take:

Midbar Skunkworks : Military Engineering Group (targeting division)
experimental system FC3:

Long Range Defense FireCon (LRDFC) -  Cost/Mass as ADFC. Allows higher
level batteries to be used in anti-missile/anti-fighter roles the same
way as Class 1 batts can. Each size larger battery requires a  normal
firecon in addition to the LRDFC to be used in this mode. (class 2 batts
require LRDFC + 1 firecon for all calss 2's firing in this mode, class 3
require LRDFC + 2 firecons). Effective range bands are half normal, and,
due to fighter maneuverability and slow weapon bearing, higher class
batteries can only target fighters in the outer range bands: class 2 at
ranges 6-12, class 3 at ranges 12-18, etc. Each die rolled is as for the
class 1-as-PDS rule. Other weapon types can be used in
anti-fighter/missile mode if an extra firecon is dedicated to them.
Range bands are halved and damage dice are the same as above.

Examples:
(BPDS = Beam in PDS mode as per MT/FB)
Weapon	  Requirements	  0-6"	  6-12"    12-18"
Class 1   Firecon	  BPDS
Class 2   LRDFC+ Firecon   -	  BPDS
Class 3   LRDFC+2xFirecon  -	    -	    BPDS
P-torp	  LRDFC+2xFirecon  One BPDS at range 10-15"

Noam R. Izenberg		noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu

Prev: Re: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!! Next: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem