Prev: RE: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: Re: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!!

Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:03:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

Since I like vector movement, but agree that pushes invite abuse, here
are my few Quatloos:

Schoon> The problem as I see it is that a high
Schoon> thrust ship can rotate and use a push to
Schoon> essentially increase its "main drive."
Schoon> I agree with others that this is an abuse of
Schoon> the rules - though I wasn't
Schoon> above using it in Jerry's first FB race ;-)

Hear, hear. "How to get 11 thrust of of a 10 thrust Engine"

Schoon> I think that a simpler solution, more in
Schoon> the spirit of the rules, is that
Schoon> pushes may not be within 90=B0 of the
Schoon> initial movement vector. This maximises
Schoon> other things that you can do with them w
Schoon> hile preventing abuse.

I see that, but it seem stoo arbitrary. I'm of the opinion that
thrusters should be ditched alltogether, rotate freely for 1 point of
thrust, and turn/thrust in any order over a turn, as long as you have
thrust points.
So, a thrust 6 ship heading 12 could rotate to 6, thrust 4, then rotate
back to 12. The only real upshot is that  the forward arc becomes more
powerful (easier to bring to bear), and therefore ships will likely dish
out and take more fire. This is likely balanced somewhat by the more
open ranges from the newtonian motion.

Beth>By the way don't you think its
Beth>ironic that Kenny has survived so long?=20

Aaron> Ironic?	No.  By design?  Yes. <grin>
Aaron> We want to deprive Indy of the
Aaron> chance for theatrics. ^_-

We should all know by now, that's not going to stop him.  ;-)

Noam R. Izenberg		noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu
Geology, Instrument Science	phone: 443-778-7918
7-355 Space Department		fax: 443-778-6670
JHU Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099

Prev: RE: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: Re: 18.1" Anti-Aircraft Guns!!!