Prev: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: Re: [DS2] DS2 Lite

Re: [DS2] DS2 Lite

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:04:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS2] DS2 Lite

>Chris DeBoe <laserlight@cwix.com> wrote:
>>Defender attacked from flank (90 arc), shift defender die down 1.
>>Defender attacked from behind (90 arc), shifts defender die down 2.
>    To make it a bit easier to use, why not increase the attacker's die
up
>by one type? That way, if multiple vehicles attack one target, the
defender
>doesn't need to keep swapping dice. Also, the attacker range modifier
could
>be directly negated by attacking the flank or rear of the target.

Logical.  I was in my Zen Composing mode when writing the original post.
am thinking about adding a characteristic: Range, which would control
how
fast your attack die drops off over range.
I haven't figured out how to lucidly describe this yet.

The concept here owes something to DBA/DBM, i.e. "describe the results
rather than the cause".  Thus you can simulate an improves Fire Con or a
bigger gun by increasing the chance to do damage; similarly, you can
reduce
the likelihood of being damaged by being stealthy, or well armored, or
evading.  The end result is the same.  I'm just trying to compress the
steps
to get to the end result.

I am trying to pick infantry characteriistics so that militia aren't
very
effective (when they roll to attack and get a "No Damage" result, the
real
reason may be that they flunked the morale test--the reult is the same),
line grunts are tougher, and so forth.	Again compressing steps.

>>Each shift above d12 adds +1 to the die result;
>    How about reduces opponent's die type by one step?
>
>>each shift below d4 subtracts 1.
>    How about increases opponent's die type by one step?

I'm not sure I'm happy with that.  Changing the opponent's die changes
the
odds--but when you add one to your roll, you guarantee you won't roll a
1;
when you subtract 1, you have a chance that, even if the other guy
kochte's
his roll, you still have a chance to roll a zero and die anyway.  I may
go
back and change the DRM's to simple +/- 1 or 2 instead of shifting dice.
Besides, what happens if you have a d12 attack a d4 from behind?  This
way
it's open ended if needed.

Prev: Re: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem Next: Re: [DS2] DS2 Lite