Prev: Re: Painting soft plastic (was Re: [FT] Basing Fighters) Next: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust: Strategic spaceflight

[FT] Solar Thrust: Strategic spaceflight

From: Keith Watt <kwatt@a...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:51:18 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Subject: [FT] Solar Thrust: Strategic spaceflight

Hi all -

   I have just uploaded to the Solar Thrust site a Java applet that will
calculate the required transfer orbit (and the delta-V and fuel) to move
between any two bodies of the Solar System (the planets are acceible
from
drop-down lists, but you can input the orbital parameters for anything).
am in the process of writing an article explaining what all the orbital
elements mean and the derivation of the equations, but I thought in the
mean time people could play with it and at least get some idea of the
energy and fuel costs involved in interplanetary travel.  Very soon I'll
make a similar applet to go along with the engines article.  The site
URL
is http://www.erols.com/kwatt/SolarThrust.

Enjoy!
Keith

kwatt@astro.umd.edu
Univ. of Maryland Astronomy

Prev: Re: Painting soft plastic (was Re: [FT] Basing Fighters) Next: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust: Strategic spaceflight