Prev: [FT] Star Trek TOS Page updated Next: Re: [FT] Basing Fighters

Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 19:57:06 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> >One possible way of toning down the "massed EMP missile attack" to
balance the
> >points cost is to combine all simultaneous attacks on a single target
into a
> >*single* die roll as follows:
> >
> >  All EMP missiles attacking a single target combine their attacks
into a
> >  single die roll.  For each additional EMP missile that successfully
attacks
> >  the same target, 1 is added to the effects die roll.
>
> This would work, but I hesitate to do it that way unless you're
assuming
> that the missiles are all coordinating their attacks (which they
might).

That was the intended PSB for the suggestion. <G>

> See my previous post concerning toning them down in the first place.
>
> The problem with combining them is that you can then be almost assured
of
> knocking out a single ship if you use enough missiles on it. For
example:
> an NAC SDN will take out an average of 4.4 missiles with its defences,
> assuming it's fighters are unavailable for screening. So 9 missiles
> virtually gaurantee knocking out 50% of its systems. That's 321 points
for
> a 54 point investment.
>
> Even at 12 points a missile, I'll take those odds. Granted this takes
the
> single ship "in a vacuum" so to speak, but it gives food for thought.

Notice that my original suggestion was to allow only 'standard'
missiles.:)

However, I'll take on your point about the cost investment.  Even in the
case
of a 'single ship in a vacuum', I believe that the relative points &
mass
costs will balance out.  After all, in order to weild 9 EMP missiles,
you need
to allocate 36 Mass and 108 points - remember, I also suggested on
upping the
mass & cost of the 'specialty' missiles to 4M & 12 pts a piece.

Let's take the same NAC SND and equip it with 9 EMP missiles.  In order
to do
that, we'll need to strip out some components in order to make room - 36
mass
worth of components.  Let's see - tossing the two fighter bays and all
three
Class 3s will do it nicely.  That leaves us with, ..., what?

2	Class 1 Battery, 6 arcs
2	Class 2 Battery, 6 arcs
2	Pulse Torpedo, 1 arc

Considering the loss of firepower after you've "blown your wad" in the
single
salvo, I'd hazard a guess that you'd have a fairly even fight -
especially
since the two full fighter squads can be released from screening duties
pound your sorry arse in revenge.  It will be interesting to playtest
this.

Food for thought, yes? <g>

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
       The Gear Locker:  http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/
	   Full Thrust:  http://www.sfcmd.com/fullthrust/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: [FT] Star Trek TOS Page updated Next: Re: [FT] Basing Fighters