Prev: Re: A Kids game question for the teeming masses.. Next: RE: [SG] large games

RE: [FT] Basing Fighters

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:55:56 -0500 (EST)
Subject: RE: [FT] Basing Fighters

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 devans@uneb.edu wrote:
[snip]
> Understood. My intention was columns thick enough that they'd be as
large as
> the fighters. Painted black, I was hopeing they'd just visually fade,
as long
> as the fighters were bright enough. Also, big enough to counter the
undercut
> problem you mentioned. Er, I hope.

I just can't see being very successul in making a one-piece fighter
stand
without using some *very* fancy molding techniques, and for the home
caster
it's more trouble than it's worth.  You'd be better off casting
individual
fighters+post as a one piece, but even then you're looking at a 3-piece
mold
*per fighter*.

You could cast just the base - with posts molded in - using a three
piece core
mold.  That's not unreasonable for the home caster, and it lets you make
fairly simple 2-piece mold for casting your fighter groups.  Personally,
I'd
stick to pewter casting, as using resin for items this small is normally
an
exercise in frustration.  A complete home casting rig for low-temp
pewter will
only set you back about $100 US, and low-temp metal is available in
small lots
for the home caster and reasonable prices.

> ***
> You might take a look on how I've been basing my fighter groups - the
folks
> I've shown them to in person have all given me "oohs & ahhs" over
them. :)
> Here's a pic that hows how they look.
> ***
>
> Oh, I'm oo'ing and ahh'ing, all right. Still, I have been wondering
how the
> K'rathri feel about serving in modified 'flying ghettos'... ;->=

Hehehe - they're used to it.  Remeber how easily a Dralthi "popped" in
WC1/2/3?

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
       The Gear Locker:  http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/
	   Full Thrust:  http://www.sfcmd.com/fullthrust/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: Re: A Kids game question for the teeming masses.. Next: RE: [SG] large games