Prev: Re: (Con) GZGECC2: JON-DON'T READ! Next: RE: [FT] Basing Fighters

Re: [OFFICIAL][DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:35:07 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL][DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Andrew & Alex wrote:

> Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@university-college.oxford.ac.uk>
wrote:
> >hey, i like that idea! i'm not entirely sure that rolling against
> >leadership is appropriate, but i agree that troop quality is a major
> >issue. maybe roll troop quality against fire control die - better FC
will
> >get systems-down risks (ones) less often, but when they do, it's
harder to
> >stop them :-).
>
>     Think about low quality crew trying to fix a high tech fire
control
> system, "Where's the reset button, sir? I don't know, I'm tryin' to
read the
> F***ing manual! S***!"
>
>     Think about high quality crew trying to fix a high tech fire
control
> system, "I'm reseting the fire control system now,... It's coming
> on-line,... Ready for next shot, sir! Aiming!"
>
> :-) There's your answer as to why I use troop quality and leader ship
> rating.

well, sort of.

i understand why you use troop quality - that makes total sense. your
example illustrates that rather well.

what i don't see is why leadership is an issue; leadership refers to the
quality of the unit (troop / platoon) leader, who isn't exactly in much
of
a position to do anything.

this is why i suggested rolling against your FCS die. let's say rolling
1 on your fire die indicates that a glitch has occurred. you then make
an
opposed die roll: your crew quality against the FCS die. a better crew
has
a better chance of getting the system working again; a better FCS is
harder to fix, as it's more complicated (yes, better technology could be
used to make them more reliavle, but how often does that happen? :-).

so, a better FCS will glitch less often but be harder to fix when it
does.

Tom

Prev: Re: (Con) GZGECC2: JON-DON'T READ! Next: RE: [FT] Basing Fighters