Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST... Next: Re: [FT]Sensors -Xeno Sensors & FTL

Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST... you will be.

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 01:39:44 GMT
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST... you will be.

Adrian Johnson writes:

> How 'bout another explanation:  He was joking.

No kidding.

> Like the scene when the
> platoon of MI are rounding up bug warriors with their guns and
shooting
> them IN A CIRCLE.  Ricochets and misses would have done damage to the
> humans *for sure* if there was one dose of reality in what they were
> doing...   The entire combat methodology of the MI was supposed to be
> joke - part of the satire.  You're looking for logic and common sense
where
> it wasn't supposed to be...

Wasn't that a glorious scene? You could have swapped in Hammer
Studios dinosaurs for the bugs, and swapped in spears for the
rifles, and "cavemen" for the troopers. Marvelous. Loved it.

You could have pretty much swapped in spears for the rifles
throughout the whole film, except that spears are much less *cool*
and don't go *dakka-dakka-dakka*. Doing so wouldn't have changed
the politics of the book/film one iota either. Establishing social
position through military service as a concept goes back to the
stone age...

...and there sure ain't no such thing as a crew-served spear.

Yeah, yeah, I know, off-topic. Of course, the Internet was created
for only three reasons: to give support for Unix, to discuss
Starship Troopers and to disseminate pornography, so in a sense it
can never truly be off-topic.

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST... Next: Re: [FT]Sensors -Xeno Sensors & FTL