Prev: Re: AAAGH!!! Next: Re: AAAGH!!!

Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 11:11:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Tired of the stupid comments about SST...

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Jonathan Jarrard wrote:

> Brian Burger wrote:
> >
> > The only semi-coherent explaination I can think of is that the
> > scriptwriters/producers/etc were working on the Russian model: lots
and
> > lots of mediocre infantry, and ignore casualties.
>
> No, it's much simpler than that.  The powers that be looked at their
> census figures and realized they were getting to have to many voters
> (Remember: Service Guarantees Citizenship).
>
> So, they called up the Bugs, offered them some trade concessions,
> haggled over which Bug planet to trade for Buenos Aires, and the Bugs
> cooked up some warriors to order. . .

I love it...it's the best explanation of the stupidity of the movie I've
seen yet.

If you haven't gone to that SST webpage that ws posted yesterday, do so.
Great page - everything I've being saying is said better
there...<http://www.kentaurus.com/troopers.htm>

Mark Siefert wrote: (on why no support weapons/AFVs/etc)
> That's would have cost more.	They blew the movie's budget on the
> stars' dermatologists bill and prom dresses. ;-)

Probably...

> And now a typical day on the set of SST:
> <Verhoven> "Vo needs read ze book!  All ve need is ze photogenic
> teen actors and the co-ed shower zene and ve have ze Blockbuster.
> Besides... I have to warn ze world about ze Nazis!  ZE NAZIS ARE
> EVERYWHERE!!!!"</Verhoven>

<lol> How did you sneak onto the set during filming?!

In fairness to Verhoven, the man did grow up in Holland during the Nazi
occupation, so if he has a bug up his ass about nazism, it's
understandable. Still, he shouldn't have butchered the book like he
did...

Granted, the tactics might have been some pathetic attempt at satire.
Still, a really lousy job of 'interpreting' the book, and a lousy
movie...Satire for the brain-dead indeed, to quote another post on this
thread.

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)			-DS2/SG2/FR!/HOTT-
      - http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9774/games.html -
-SciFi & Fantasy Wargaming House Rules, Photos, GWAutobasher, & more-

Prev: Re: AAAGH!!! Next: Re: AAAGH!!!