Prev: Re: FT: FB2 Preview - Obi Wan Tuffley Next: Re: [OFFICIAL][DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2

Re: FT: FB2 Preview - Obi Wan Tuffley

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 14:00:51 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: FT: FB2 Preview - Obi Wan Tuffley

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, David Brewer wrote:

> PERRYG1@aol.com writes:
>
> > But one thing I couldn't understand was the almost complete lack of
crew
> > served weapons (except the heavy machine guns at the base and the
nucular
> > tiped RPG) AFV's with the M.I.. Tactics seemed to consist of
standing still
> > out in the open and blazing away at close range on full auto.
>
> The politics in both the book and film stress the morally-
> improving (and citizenship-confirming) need for the individual to
> make their contribution to society through (life-threatening)
> military action.
>
> To represent this cinematically, it doesn't make much sense to
> have crew-served weapons or AFV's... what sort of *individual*
> contribution would that be?

a much more effective contribution :-). seriously, though, i would have
thought the close teamwork you have to learn in the armed forces would
be
quite an improving education. still, that's a rather anti-heinlein
perspective on things. plus, how do you explain the fleet? that's rather
cooperative, and yet that guarantees citizenship too.

Tom

Prev: Re: FT: FB2 Preview - Obi Wan Tuffley Next: Re: [OFFICIAL][DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2