Prev: As in base-ic Re: More Basic Ideas Next: Very Large Ships was Re: [FT] Minatures......

[FT] Minatures......

From: Charles Choukalos <chuckc@b...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 15:10:56 -0500
Subject: [FT] Minatures......

I've recently decided to look into painting some minatures for my Full
Thrust games.... The little lego space ships didn't go over as well as
the micromachines star trek ships I had.  Unfortunately, I need some
more
cool ships to play with.  What I'm wondering is if there are any fleet
packs that offer a selection of minitures at a discounted price.  Is
there such a beast?  After all at $6.50 / heavy cruiser for a gzg ship
its pretty pricy, especially if you're not known for your artistic
ability.  Also are their any good sources that are drastically cheaper
then just buying them from the local game store.  I found one site
offering 35% off price, but $7 minium shipping charge.	Too make it
worth
while, I'd have to order about 50 bucks to see any possible savings, and

then the shipping and handling eat that to just about nothing.	Any
suggestions?

...............And on another topic......

Large Ships ( in FTFB ) aka > mass 400).  I've been playing around with
designing various ships that are roughly on par with a small fleet in
the
number of points that they cost.  Has anyone else played around with
this
idea.  I've done some play testing.  I believe that I posted a "day of
the juggernaught" scenerio a while ago with a mass 400 ship that was
worth around 1300-1400 pts or so with fighter complement.  I'm curious
see what people have seen in their duels regarding these monstrosities.

I've noticed a couple of trends in some of our games....

1.  Pack on the PDS otherwise you're fighter/sml fodder
2.  If you're slow up the %space to defenses... you'll need lots o'pds +

armor
    + screens.
3.  Screens seem to be much more effective for the mass then armor given

all of
    the damage points that the ships hull is able to stop.
4.  You need redundant firecontrolls.... its a real pain not to be able
    split fire over several small ships (big multi swatting capabilities

needed)
5.  (We don't play with core rules... but if you do... does this seem to

really
     devalue these large ships effectiveness...? )
6.  When the big ships start to take threshold damage, luck seems to be
big
    factor in weither they're still combat effective or not.... bad die
    rolls have seen some of the ships unable to return fire or defend
themselves
    properly after only the 1st threshold check.... a lot to lose
because
of
    bad rolls.
7.  With out fighters, the big ships don't have any flank protection...
    Also against other fighters task forces and SML fleets having a
reasonable
    amount of fighters helps immensly in protecting your huge ship.
8.  Usually you can destroy quite a number of enemy vessels and still
flee the
    system to (Strategically thinking) be patched up to 100% strenght
and
do
    it again.  (Aka big ship survivability)

The above comes from some mucking around with the mass 400 juggernaught
ship in several battles:

1.  Scenerio posted earlier.... Juggernaught won, took out a lot of
enemy
ships
2.  Vs Free Cal-Tex Kenedy Cruisers
    4 Kenedy missle cruisers ( 4 sml's/each + 2 rounds / launcher ) + 2
    beam armed heavy frigates ( NAC -> escourt variant ).
	-> Juggernaught Lost, but just barely
	   Seems the fighters had bad luck and basically used up 4
squads
	   protect against missles... the other 2 squades unfortunately
got
	   wasted on their attack run (Bad move there...)  Then the slow

speed
	   bad thrust of the juggernaught and high missle die rolls ment

that
	   about 10 sml's landed the 1st wave, then 4 the 2nd wave....
can we
	   say dead juggernaught.  However the juggernaught anihlated
the
	   2 escourt frigates, 1 kenedy class, and crippled another
keneedy
	   class before being missled into submission.	The
juggernaughts
slow
	   speed and low maneverability were a problem here.
3.  NSL cruiser force ( 3 CH's, 2 DD's, 2 CL's[Escourt Variants] )
	   Here the NSL's sturdiness keept them in the game for quite a
while,
	   however the juggernaught made short work of one of the CL's
and
	   then even with 1 cl still pulling escourt duty, the fighters
mauled
	   both DD's and crippled one of the Ch's before all being
destroyed.
	   The juggernaught rolled well and took out the rest of the
ships after
	   just taking its 2nd threshold check.  She was able to repair
most
	   systems lost to the 1st threshold check quite rapidly because

of the
	   large number of DCP on board.
4.  Mixed beam/torp fleet with lots of overlapping adaf coverage ( 2
DN's,
    2 CH's ).
	   Again the juggernaught did well, but this game came fairly
close.
	   the adaf on every ship coupled with a tight formation and a
fair
	   number of pds + class-1 beams pretty much eliminated most of
the
	   fighter threat.  I think I was only able to do maybe a dozen
points
	   worth of fighter damage the entire game ( 6 squads go by
by...
)
	   The ensuing fight was rather tough... 1 Ch was crippled, but
managed
	   to evade destruction.  1 Ch exploded from some serious
overkill.
	   1 DN crippled but still combat worthy. 2nd DN just about dead

( 3
	   hits left, but almost all of its main armament left ).
	   The juggernaught was on its last row of damage boxes and was
looking
	   to get out of dodge.  It had been striped of most of its
firepower
	   and really only had 2 class-3's, 1 torp, 1 firecontrol, and
about
	   8 pds left for what its worth.... FTL'd out.  This was one of

the
	   closest battles fought.  It lasted 13 rounds before the
juggernaught
	   withdrew.  If a little more firepower had survived the
thresholds,
	   then the juggernaught should have been able to destroy
another
	   vessel or two before escaping and would have vindicated the
	   big ship bully idea.

Anyway, that's my synopsis.  I'm seting up an attack on a starbase
scenerio in a week or two.  I've got the starbase pegged at mass 800
with
some support ships.  The attacking force I set at around 3500 points (
1:1 point ratio ).  Does this seem fair.  I suggested the players take
SML boats since the station is a sitting duck.... I would think that
would be a realistic attack route... after all a beam armed fleet would
take quite a while to kill it.	Should I up the ratio since the station
has no flt + no thrust that's worth at least 20% mass advantage to the
defenders, even though the station is a sitting duck for sml fire?

Thanks,
chuck

Prev: As in base-ic Re: More Basic Ideas Next: Very Large Ships was Re: [FT] Minatures......