Prev: Re: Albany NY? Next: Re: [FT] More Thrust Cover

Re: [FT] More Thrust Cover

From: Kevin Walker <sage@m...>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 01:48:34 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] More Thrust Cover

On 2/26/99 7:35 PM John Crimmins wrote:

>I suppose that Jon would be the best person to ask this of, but someone
>else might know the answer as well: How was the ship on the cover of
More
>Thrust painted?  The panels are far too smooth, and the lines seem far
too
>regular, to be the result of drybrushing.  My guess is that the panel
lines
>were individually picked out, either with a brush or a fine-point pen,
but
>I am hoping otherwise.  I could manage that on a *few* ships, but doing
>that to an entire fleet would drive me mad--and I really like the way
that
>it looks.

I'm not Jon but some of my recent paint jobs on FT minis comes out
looking about that smooth.  I start with a base color, use a watered
down
ink in the panel lines and then slowly dry apply dry brushing (about
three to four levels) starting with the base color and progressively
getting lighter.  The secret is to go over the same area with multiple
strokes of the same color.  Each stroke is so light (in touch as well as

amount of paint) that it takes a number of them to deliver any
noticeable
color to the area in question.	With this gradual build up everything
seems to gradually blend and look a bit more nature in effect.

I realize that I've just described the basics of dry brushing (sorry to
those who got bored) ;-).  I found my most common mistake was trying to
rush the dry brushing processes.  Once I slowed down things seemed to
fall into place - that and the brush manufactures love me as I'm going
through brushes faster than ever now.

Kevin Walker			 Mac / Windows Developer
sage@millcomm.com		 Software Engineer
Rochester  MN  USA		 Currently Available for Hire!!!

Prev: Re: Albany NY? Next: Re: [FT] More Thrust Cover