Prev: Re: [FT] Tug confusion Next: RE: [FT] Tug confusion

Re: [FT] Tug confusion (and Tug vs. Bay)

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:25:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Tug confusion (and Tug vs. Bay)

NI>> If tug cap is always rounded up, them the clamps are 2 mass and
engines
NI>> are 1 mass for 5 thust

JN> Huh? I didn't follow this one

I was looking at the cost for tug carrying capacity as being the
structure of the tug needed to hold the mass being towed. In the case of
parasite fighters, the clamps etc that holds them onto the FTL body. If
your round a capacity of 6 mass down, you get 1 mass, and if you round
it up you get 2 mass. If you require 2 mass for the clamps on my example
tug, then you only have 1 for thrust, which gives you a thrust of 5 on a
mass 5 ship.

I see Jareds other objections to the small jump carrier', but John Leary
balances them pretty well. Given the purpose of a tug, I could see that
while no-one would want to be on an extended mission in one of these
things, but jump-capable is jump-capable in this game, be it scout or
batttlecruiser.

JTL> Other than pilot, fuel and energy for the
JTL> weapons nothing can be added
JTL> or removed from the fighter.

I'd agree with that too.

JTL> Tug sub-light drives are designed to
JTL> operate at the loaded mass ofthe tug.
JTL> Towing the cargo should not be a problem.

For me, I'd take the thrust reduction. It's the FTL that has the tug
capacity, not the thrust drive. If you add 120% mass to a ship, without
altering the thrust force, you get a ~55% reduction of acceleration.

It comes down to how you think small ships can be configured., and how
long they can "last" operating on their own, and whether parasite
fighters' pilots are trapped in the fighter itself for the duration of
the mission.

The real problem is that an FTL fighter group for 33 points is
unbalanced in terms of game mechanics. I don't know how to solve that
without using Jared or Tom Barclay's PSB, when I prefer JTL's.

The other issue I have is with tugs vs. bays. I have 3 designs (two
cruisers and a destroyer) that each carry a single fighter squadron in a
launch bay. I could save myself 7 mass to use for other systems If I
made the fighters parasite fighters (get nine back for the bay, use 2
for the tug carry cap. Or, If I wanted to play the resupply game, I
could buy a small bay and cargo space to service/reload fighters one or
two at a time between scenarios. This would give me 2 or 3 mass (9 for
no bay, -2 for FTL tug cap, -4 or 5 for a small bay and cargo). that I
could put into other systems. Is there a compelling reason _not_ to do
it this way, assuming I want to keep the squadron on these ships?

Tom B - I'd love to see the specs for your MFRD. it sounds like no fleet
should be without one.

Noam R. Izenberg		noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu

Prev: Re: [FT] Tug confusion Next: RE: [FT] Tug confusion