Prev: Re: [FT] Wave Guns, Fighter Racks, Mass/Thrust, & Maneuver Oh My ! Next: Re: [FT] Wave Guns, Fighter Racks, Mass/Thrust, & Maneuver Oh My!

Re: [OT] My Life

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:38:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] My Life

>> Do you have to do any training or do you just go right in...?
>
>Nope.	I show up, go to nearest reception center (Ft. Jackson) to
update
>shots, make sure I have all the appropriate clothes, and take care of
>finance (Direct Deposit, etc.) and other administrivia.  Then fly
>straight to Stutgart to the USAEUR replacement unit and from there to a
>unit.
>
>John M. Atkinson

How long did you sign up for?

Another thought - are you a good shot?

My uncle was a REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineer) Gunfitter
-
he discovered early on that the British Army of the 1950's respected
marksmanship (and paid extra for it), so he did some serious training
and
was regularly rated at the top level of marksmanship.  Unfortunately, a
"technical expert" who was also good at the "pure" soldier stuff
(please,
no arguments about how combat engineers are "pure" soldiers... there's
no
slight meant and you know what I mean) was in high demand all the time -
particularly since this was the period of decolonialisation and the
Brits
were fighting a bunch of small wars all over the place.  He got sent in
most of them.  Malaya, Aden - even got asked to join the SAS when it was
building up in Malaya, but he was terrified of jumping out of airplanes
so
there was no way he'd do that.	The British army had a policy that NCO's
from support services in combat areas had to maintain their combat
leadership proficiency (everybody is a rifleman first and foremost!) -
and
as he was a Sergeant, he had to go off into the jungle leading fighting
patrols.  He was sent off with a Gurkha battalion, and had some rather
scary stories to tell about the Gurkhas.  And their Kukris (and the
skinning knives that come with a Kukri...)

Anyway - the point being that watch out - I have no idea whether the US
Army has the same kinds of policies, but (unless of course you are going
*looking* for action) you might get more than you bargained for.

I just realized that sounds terribly melodramatic.  Not what I meant, at
all...