Prev: Re: Home Page Construction Next: Re: [OT] My Life

Re: Home Page Construction

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:48:25 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Home Page Construction

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Laserlight wrote:
>
> > >Let me guess... made with a MS product?
> >
> > Nope.  Made with someone badly decaffeinated.  I write HTML by hand,
so to
> > speak.
>
> I use Netscape Gold 3.0 for the basis, then munge by hand. I really
must
> document the code too...

document HTML? that's a new one on me!

> > Not MS's fault, except that when I previewed the page (IE4)
everything
> > looked okay.
>
> I can't really blame MS for this. Sure IE4 "ignores" the lack of
> </TABLE>  and therefore isn't compliant to the standard. But it's
> noncompliant in a good way, tolerating faults and trying to do the
best
> job it can.

this is how things are supposed to work: the rule of thumb for internet
software is to be conservative in what you transmit (ie stick to the
protocol) and liberal in what you receive (ie allow substantial
deviations
to allow for bad software at the other end). it's not a bad maxim for
internet users, too ...

> Great in a browser, but absolutely the worst in a checker...

what would be nice is if the browser flagged or logged errors in the
html.
maybe a little animated icon of Tim Berners-Lee jumping up and down in
fury.

Tom

Prev: Re: Home Page Construction Next: Re: [OT] My Life