Prev: Re: kra'Vakspeak Next: Re: [FT] Gunboats - points cost??

Re: [DS] size restriction on walkers

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:23:40 +0000
Subject: Re: [DS] size restriction on walkers

>At 08:03 PM 2/17/99 EST, you wrote:
>>Can someone explain the reason for the size restrictions on walkers
(only
>>available in size classes 1, 4, and 5+ according to page 14 of the
rules)?
> Is
>>there some game-balance issue or PSB behind it?
>
>Not that I'm aware.  I think it was more a reaction to Battletech and
>(maybe) EPIC, which were the prominent microarmor-scale games out there
>with walkers.	In BT, you've got tiny walkers (elementals) and then a
>pretty big jump to the 'mechs (though you could probably make
arguements
>for <size 4; dunno, I don't play).  EPIC, you had robots/dreads, and
then
>Titans (until the Knights came along...).
>
>That's my take on it, anyway.	Jon may have other ideas in mind. ^_^

That's pretty much it, really; originally the rules were written so that
players could use their Battletech and and other stuff with DSII. There
was
also the heavy Anime influence, of course, where you tend to have either
not-THAT-much-bigger-than-human mecha (a la VOTOMS, MADOX-01 etc) or
else
huge 'kin great tin samurai, with not a lot in between. I think you can
safely ignore that limitation for your own designs, and take that as at
least a semi-[OFFICIAL!] ruling!  :)

Jon (GZG)