Prev: Re: [FT] Gunboats - points cost?? Next: [FT] Fighter group sizes

Re: assemblying FT minis

From: Keith Watt <kwatt@a...>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:12:02 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Subject: Re: assemblying FT minis

Hi folks -

Two pieces of advice regarding stands:

  First, I always sand off the thinner top part of the post (the part
that
goes into the model) and replace it with a necklace barrel clasp.  After
super gluing it to the post, I super glue the other end to the model.
After the super glue is dry, I put epoxy where the clasp meets metal (of
the model and of the post).  In this way, the glue gives you a quick
(but
brittle) bond, which holds everything in place long enough for the epoxy
to set.  The result is very strong and also allows the model to be
removed
from the base for storage.  Oh, remove the little hoops from each end of
the clasp, of course, but also use super glue gel - the standard stuff
runs down the edges and glues the clasp together!

 Second, for my scratchbuilt fleet I used 1 1/4" flat washers and 3/8"
piece of metal tubing (the same diameter as the hole in the washer).
Glue
the tubing to the base and put a piece of epoxy putty in the top of the
tubing and push the bottom of the necklace clasp into the putty.  I made
a template to put the 12-hour marks on the base.  Works pretty well,
looks
nice, and like the first, it allows the model to be separated from the
base for storage.

Just a few suggestions...

Keith

Prev: Re: [FT] Gunboats - points cost?? Next: [FT] Fighter group sizes