Prev: Re: Crossover from GZGPedia List Next: Re: assemblying FT minis

Re: [SGII] Suppression of Alien Races

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:12:22 -0800
Subject: Re: [SGII] Suppression of Alien Races

Jonathan Jarrard wrote:

> Recorrection.  There was very little mention of HTH combat.  There was
> lot of mention of the Bug Warrior's "beam weapon, that could slice
> through your armor like a hard-boiled egg" (which incidentally, the
> humans seemed to have no equivalent for).  Bug Warriors were fast,
> canny
> (if not actually intelligent) and made excellent use of the terrain,
> including the 'terrain' of Bug Workers for cover.  Underground
> movement
> was used to concentrate forces without worrying about air/surface
> interdiction, and to achieve local numerical superiority.  The only
> mention of HTH is when MI were being carried off as prisoners.

OK I stand recorrected of my uncorrection of the original correction:
Still, in SST, It's mentioned time and again the willingness of the
arachnids to sacrifice untold numbers of bugs, workers warriors or
otherwise, in their wave attacks. (where they close to close range ,
ranged weapons or not, unless as a warrior bug you're ging to burn
through a hundred workers with your beam to kill the trooper assuming
you could see him in the masses.)

Which gets back to the original question of Morale rules for bugs. This
seems to be a matter of, there's a limited amount of warriors per
workers, and the SST's could usually only tell them apart by not being
killed by them. So how to handle suppression in a race like this? I say
let natural selection deal with it. If the player looses all his
warriors by rash moves, he will loose the match. If they take a few
close calls, and he wisely moves them to cover, then you get your
supression result albeit temporarily.

Perhaps a good way to see this is find a pile of ants (preferably on the
march). As a whole they will march to oblivion if necessary to attain
whatever hive imperative has sent them on their way in the first place,
but individulay if you screw with one of them, they will dodge and avoid
death if possible, even run away if necessary. SO the key is to
incorporate thes etwo models as ONE type of Morale rules for some alien
races. yes? No?

Los
(Just babbling)