Prev: Re: [SGII] Supression Next: Re: [SGII] Supression

Re: [SGII] Supression

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:22:37 -0500
Subject: Re: [SGII] Supression

John Crimmins wrote:

> You are acting like there are only two ways to respond to incoming
fire:
> freeze or go into a beserk frenzy.  This is not the case.

Nope.  Let's say you are walking through the woods.  All of a sudden,
someone starts shooting at you.  Do you A)Continue to walk through the
woods, or B)Hide behind something solid and return fire in an unaimed
and ineffective manner.  What other choices are there?	If you take
cover, you're supressed.  If you don't, you very, very likely to get
hit.  You can run in various directions--would you then suggest instead
of supression the target gets another activation to move?

> Because he doesn't feel threatened by them.  He hears a gunshot.  He
looks
> down.  He sees that he has no holes in his body (none that weren't
there
> before, at least), he shrugs and moves on.  He doesn't drop to the
ground
> and worry about being hit.  The human instict is to freeze when
threatened,

Dropping to the ground is minimizing target area.  You continue to walk,
you're maximizing.

> >> Why not?  Where is it written that all Aliens must be equivalent to
human

> >Law of Nature.  No such thing as free lunch.  Physics is damned
> >equitable.
>
> Nonsense.  Are you saying that if Antarans are 20% faster than humans
they
> must then be 20% weaker to balance it out?  An alien can't be faster,
> stronger, smarter, and more technologically advanced all at once?  I
don't
> see why not--especially when you take genegineering into account.  The
> universe is not always (or even usually) fair.

No.  I'm responding to the 'why not'.  Bullets act the same regardless
of what species you are--and humans continue to act the same.  Take a
moving target.	If you only get one shot at it before it hits the
ground, you probably won't hit it unless it's either close, moving
slowly, or you're a good shot.	If it continues to stay up and moving,
you will eventually hit it.

> However, if I were running Aliens (of the movie of the same name) I
would
> NOT make them easier to hit, and I would NOT have them suppressed by
enemy
> fire.  Different situation, different instincts, different behavior.

Of course, they only fight at close quarters, in the rain, in the middle
of night, etc.. . No time to get supressed.  :)

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [SGII] Supression Next: Re: [SGII] Supression