Prev: Re: The GZGpedia Next: ping?

Re: [SGII] Supression

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:26:11 -0800
Subject: Re: [SGII] Supression

John M. Atkinson wrote:

> ILet me propose that supression is a survival reflex in a combat
> zone--getting small and inconspicuous behind something solid sounds
> like
> sane thing to do, at least in the short term.  Hence those who aren't
> supressed--the uber-macho[1] who ignore those bullet whizzing around
> and
> leap manfully into the fray--are going to be a LOT easier to hit.

I agree completely but here's a possibly spin. I see it like this. An
alien may not fear death, OK I can accept that may occasionally be,
since there have been many instances of human cultures >Subduing< their
fear of death for the good of some cultural imperitive. But still, I may
not fear death, but does that mean I am going to stick my hand in the
fire and wacth it burn off? F**k no. Getting killed stupidly before
accompishing your mission should be viewed upon in some these races in
the same vein as cowardice. I think ONE possible work around (in support
of John's other good idea) is that you can still supress Alien X.
(Hitting the ground is a reflex), but he shucks it off auto-magically at
the end of the turn. You could make it harder to acheive a suppression
result and also make recovery of suppression easier, but it should still
have some effect OR you go with huigher casualties.

Of course some races are legit with the no fear no casualties IMO, for
example, Tyrannids or SST Arachnids. But they should be balanced with
much more rigid control systems or whatever.

Los

Prev: Re: The GZGpedia Next: ping?