Prev: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns Next: Population math help!

Re: Star Trek Weapon

From: Donald Hosford <hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:32:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Star Trek Weapon

Ground Zero Games wrote:

> >Hi,
> >How would you represent the weapon TR-1(or what ever it was, from
ST:DS9) in
> >DS2/SG2, it has a very long range, does not need a LOS to the target,
you can
> >put the bulled into the targets most vital spot, auto kill? auto hit?
all
> >board? very dangerus.  Think about it in space battles, point and
click and
> >the fleet commander is dead.  What do you think?
> >-Stephen
>
> Personally, I think Plot Device Weapons (TM) such as this (from your
> description above - I haven't seen the episode) are best left where
they
> came from - in TV plots. Superweapons and supercharacters will badly
> unbalance any game system, as has been shown all too well by
Warhamster 40K
> and Warzone.... ;)
>
> Jon (GZG)

My take on the usual Plot Device Weapons (TM) and Star Trek (especialy
ST:TNG+):

   It sounds like Munchkinizem.  Everytime the Fed boys meet someone
new, the
newbys always have some new weapon which can carve up the heaviest Fed
Dread like
it was make of paper.  The only solution, of course, is the "5-Minute
Quicky
Ending" (TM)  Where everything is ended just before the credits roll.

I stopped watching Star Trek the Next Gen, ect.  after I realized this.
Babylon
5, Battlestar Galactica, ect.  may have their problems, but they are not
suffering
from Munchkinizems(TM)	or 5-Minute Quicky Endings (TM)

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns Next: Population math help!