Prev: Economics Next: Re: FT Starmap Problems

Re: OT: You guys aren't going to believe this....

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:33:09 -0800
Subject: Re: OT: You guys aren't going to believe this....

At 12:41 PM -0800 2/13/99, Thomas Anderson wrote:

>major stuff that was cut: development of kynes' character (arguably the
>second most important character in the book), why spice is important,
>relationship between paul and his mentors, death of thufir hawat, and
>explanation of the bene gesserit. they also cut paul's two romances,
which
>is unusual for a hollywood movie!

Yje romances were cut LATE in post-production. Very late. I attended
the premier at Zellerbach Hall on the UC Berkeley campus. The program
we got included four stills from the movie, one of which made it to the
final release... One of them was a scene  between Paul and Chani (sigh).

>"Dino and Raffaella have talkd about restoring the out-takes and making
>miniseries (a la _The Godfather_). This may happen because Dino wanted
>longer film all along." - frank herbert, 1985.

I've heard as much as nine hours was produced. What was left over made
a good movie, but as has been said before, it wasn't Dune.

>well, about 15 years ago it looked like there might possibly be a
>mini-series one day. that probably doesn't mean much today.

Michael Carter Llaneza	  http://www.hypnotic.com/
Devolution is very real to me.

Prev: Economics Next: Re: FT Starmap Problems