Prev: Re: Space Stations Next: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

Re: In defence of Monarchy

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:36:26 +0100
Subject: Re: In defence of Monarchy

Thomas Anderson wrote

> > >  I don't know what 'Anglian' means... >>
> >
> > I *think* that it means someone of European desent.
>
> the angles were a tribe of britons living in eastern england years
back
> when the romans invaded.

<shudders at hearing an Englishman abuse his own historical heritage
like
that>

No, they weren't. The Angles where a germanic people who first raided
Roman Britain and then, when the Romans withdrew completely in the 5th
century CE, moved in along with their neighbours the Saxons and the
Jutes
and conquered what is now called England from the romanized Britons.

Here endeth the lesson,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Space Stations Next: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species