Prev: Re: M15.GIF map Next: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns

RE Supertank

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:01:35 PST
Subject: RE Supertank

An EM screen sounds fine, but:
1. It will be easy to detect.
2. 2. I don't think tungsten, copper or depleted uranium are affected by

magnetic fields. So that makes it vulnerable to the more modern AT
rounds I can think off (assuming that self-forging and HEAT rounds use a

copper liner). Though they could use reactive armour for the HEAR
rounds.

One bit of news that does scare me is that Royal Ordnance might go out
of the Arty and tank round business, leaving Britain dependant of South
Africa for large calibre ammunition.
Crazy.
If they do close the factories they government must, at the very least,
buy them and mothball them.
Not as good as a sufficient stockpile but what western country has one
of those?

Which reminds me, off topic but of interest.
Gossip from an aircraft buff.
Apparently during the Falklands war a Vulcan diverted to South Africa.
All but essential personnel were kept out of the way and the Vulcan
stayed there just long enough to fix the problem.

The anti runway munitions used in the Gulf War did not work. The runway
they were tested on in Scotland was very weak, almost more like plaster
than concrete. Though the whole idea of flying over the runway is
madness.

Michael.

Prev: Re: M15.GIF map Next: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns