Prev: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns Next: Re: Battle report of small missle ships

Re: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:51:15 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement

-MWS- wrote:

> > The ship may
> > NOT make any actual movement or apply any other Thrust in that
> > GameTurn."
> >
> > That last half sentence is your answer - if you're decelerating to a
> > stand-still, you *are* applying any other Thrust and therefore is
not
> > allowed to spin to any direction (you can, of course, turn the
normal
> > amount!)
>
> Actually, that wording is exactly what caused the question in the
first

> place - "any *other* thrust".

The Cinematic movement system doesn't make any difference between thrust
used to turn and thrust used to accelerate - both types are "thrust". In
order to spin in place you're using thrust, so your suggested re-write
would be self-contradictory (you can only rotate if you don't use any
thrust, but you use thrust to rotate so you can't rotate if you use
thrust to rotate... Moment 22, anyone? :-)

> However, the inclusion
> of the word "other" causes a definite ambiguity - "other" than what?

Other than the thrust you use to rotate. No ambiguity at all.

> "Other"
> than that used to deaccelerate to zero in the first place?  The
inclusion of
> the word "other" strongly implies this interpretation, since leaving
the
> word out makes the sentence totally unambiguous without breaking any >
gramatical constructs.

I completely disagree. Leaving the word "other" out would make the rule
completely meaningless, see above.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns Next: Re: Battle report of small missle ships