Prev: Re: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement Next: [FT - AAR] NAC vs Imperium

Re: Battle report of small missle ships

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:04:32 +0100
Subject: Re: Battle report of small missle ships

A somewhat late reply:

> there were 3 battles
>
> 2 with the 20 tonners
> 1 with the 30 tonners
>
> battle 1
>
> 3 sides
>
> side 1 was using 'German" ships
> I believe he had a Battle cruiser and a dreadnougt

> side 2 was 'Russian'
> he had 4 frigates and a battleship/BC I believ

> These ships are from the fleet book
>
> side 3 was me
> I had 10 20 toners

Very roughly 650-750 pts per side, with your fleet at (IIRC) 710 pts.

[snip]

> at about 40 inches I launched
> 10 salvoes of missles at the germans 4 at the BC 6 at the dreadnought
>
> It was about average dice so around 16 missles hit the BC I think 23
the
> bigger ship
> He shot down about 4 to 6 from each salvo on slavo did over 72 points
of
> damage (we stopeed counting at that point) the other around 50 or 60

Not clear what you mean here. If you say that one ship took over 72 pts
of damage and the other 50-60 pts that seems reasonable; but a *single*
SM salvo can't inflict more than 36 damage (6 missiles on target, none
shot down and all rolling 6 for damage).

> shot 1 salvo at each frigate killing them
> and then 6 at the BB
>
> they died without loss of a single ship

This is *extremely* impressive SM shooting - you hit with every SM
salvo,
which suggests that your opponents flew straight ahead. The NSL can't do
much else, of course, but the ESU frigates aren't easy targets (and the
BC has at least some ability to dodge SMs).

> batlle 2 I dont remember alot of details but
>
> side one had a 'Foch' and acouple of cruisers

> side 2 (me) had a "US" carrier and 14 missle boat

> we used our fighters defensively as his strike came in he concentrated

> on the big ship

That wasn't very smart of him, considering that your missile boats are
much easier to intercept (being Thrust-1 compared to Thrust-4) and much
easier to kill... and more dangerous to his Foch, as well. 'Course, that
assumes that your missile boats were within reach, but it sounds as if
they were.

The lasting impression is that your opponents must fly either very
slowly
or in very predictable paths (or both), or else you're a mind-reader :-/
I've never seen that high a percentage of SM salvoes on target (*all*
salvoes in the first two battles?!)... IIRC the best I've ever seen was
50% on target.

'Course, if you used Vector movement with 6" SM aquisition radius,
that'd
explain a lot as well. There's a very good reason for the "strong
suggestion" that you use 3" SM aquisition radii against Vector-moving
ships :-/

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement Next: [FT - AAR] NAC vs Imperium