Prev: Re: Inner Colonies Next: RE: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement

Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

From: Randall Case <tgunner@e...>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:37:26 -0600
Subject: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

Paul Frigo wrote:

> I just recently bought Dirtside II and have a question or two for
anyone to
> reply to.
>
>     1.    I noticed or that there is no mention of the use of
Anti-Tank guns
>     like  the old german WWII Pak 7.5 or the such. With ECM and PDS
working so

>     well I would have thought that the AT gun would make a come back
since
>     Guided Missiles are not as guaranteed of a hit as they use to.

I understand where you are coming from, however even in WWII most
military
forces were realizing that towed ATGs were becoming useless, except for
defense.  I doubt that any of the major powers would build the things
(why? just
spend the money on more tanks- they are better protected, more mobile,
and more
flexible).  On the defense, and in a prepared defense/ambush, the ATG is
useful... until the situation gets really fluid... then they are rather
useless.  And in DS II, action is very rapid! Your ATG unit would get a
shot or
two before your opponent drops arty on it, or before it is totally
flanked.

If ATGs do exist, then they are probably only in use with militia and
very third
rate units.  As for rules, I would say use the rules for towed artillery
on page
12, item vi. Make sure before you play that you and your opponents agree
on some
rules for prime movers! When things get really hot, your ATGs are gonna
need to
move quick! (an oxymoron for ATGs by the way : )

Prev: Re: Inner Colonies Next: RE: [FT] Rules clarification request - stationary movement