Prev: UBW Stars Next: Re: UBW Tech

Re: UBW Tech

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 20:38:06 +1300
Subject: Re: UBW Tech

Stephen <DracSpy@aol.com> wrote:
>I just got DS2 and SG2, ...
    Great!

>I have looked at the rules and
>have the fallowing stats for UBW hardware:
>Mauler Tank: Mass Cost
>1x Size 4 - 20
>1x MDC/3 (Primary Turret) 9 30 50
>1x HEL/1 (Turrets) 2 12 62
>1x GSM/H (VLS) (Superior Guideance) 4 60 122
>1x Arty Observer - 50 172
>1x Local Air Defence 2 75 247
>1x Enhanced Point Defence System 3 45 292
>1x Superior ECM - 45 337
>1x Stealth 3 - 240 577
>1x FGP - 23 600
>1x Grav - 38 638
>1x Armor 4 Reactive - 18 656
>3x Superior Fire Control System - 18 674

    For a tank of this size, I would suggest size 5! :-)
    For weaponry, I would suggest a MDC/5, and lose the HEL/1. You only
need
one fire control system, not three. If you're trying to duplicate the
tank
design on the Fort Knox web site, or a Soviet missile through barrel
tank
design, one GMS/H is probably about right. Provided you use my
unofficial
rules for indirect GMS fire, available on my site.
    Add in Superior PDS at four capacity points. Fill the spare space
with
an extra APSW or two, you can never have enough APSW when being overrun
by
infantry.
    Forget stealth or only have one level. You don't need the Artillery
Observer ability or the Local Air Defence (LAD).
    That should make it a lot cheaper, so then you can have more of
them!
:-)

>APC Version of the Mauler Tank:
>1x Size 4 - 20
>1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret) 6 20 40
>1x HEL/1 (Turrets) 2 12 52
>1x Arty Observer - 50 102
>1x Local Air Defence 2 75 177
>1x Basic Point Defence System 2 30 207
>1x Superior ECM - 45 252
>1x Stealth 3 - 240 492
>1x FGP - 23 515
>1x Grav - 38 553
>1x Armor 4 Reactive - 18 571
>3x Superior Fire Control System - 12 583
>1x Power Armor Base 8 -
    The purpose of this vehicle seems to be confused. No need for HEL/1,
Artillery Observer, LAD or Stealth. Make it carry more PA infantry, at
least
two teams. Upgrade PDS to Superior.
    Have an unarmed armoured personnel carrier (APC) to carry observers
in,
as it's cheaper on points.

>Missile Support version of the Mauler Tank:
>1x Size 4 - 20
>4x GSM/H (VLS) (Superior Guideance) 16 240 260
>1x Arty Observer - 50 310
>1x Local Air Defence 2 75 385
>1x Basic Point Defence System 2 30 415
>1x Superior ECM - 45 460
>1x Stealth 3 - 240 700
>1x FGP - 23 723
>1x Grav - 38 761
>1x Armor 4 Reactive - 18 779
    Loose the artillery observer, LAD, PDS, ECM and Stealth. Make the
vehicle size 2, just enough room for 2 GMS/H. Then you get a vehicle
much
like the M901ITV or John Atkinson's vehicles.
    Now you can have more of them and they're harder to hit
automatically
(smaller vehicle).

>MRLS version of the Mauler Tank:
    SLaM packs don't make a MLRS. Think of SLaM packs as like the
unguided
rocket launchers on a Apache helo. Use Medium or Heavy Artillery instead
of
SLaM. You don't need an artillery observer on a artillery vehicle.

>Command Version of the Mauler Tank:
    Make it the command version of the unarmed APC version of the Mauler
Tank.

>Area Defence Version of the Mauler Tank:
>1x Size 4 - 20
>1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret) 6 20 40
>1x Arty Observer - 50 90
>1x Local Air Defence 2 75 165
>1x Basic Point Defence System 2 30 195
>1x Superior ECM - 45 230
>1x Stealth 3 - 240 470
>1x FGP - 23 493
>1x Grav - 38 531
>1x Armor 4 Reactive - 18 619
>3x Superior Fire Control System - 12 631
>1x Basic ADS 10 200 831
    Make its sole purpose the shooting down of aerospace and VTOL. Loose
the
stealth, superior fire control, MDC/2, artillery observer and LAD. Put
in a
Superior ADS instead of the Basic one. Put in Superior PDS as well to
help
defend against airborne GMS/L, GMS/H or GMS/3.

The point of combined arms is to use the strengths of your army against
the
weakness of your opponents army. So make sure that your army has
strengths,
so you can exploit the weakness of your opponent. Use the strengths of
one
part to compensate for the weakness in other parts.
    This force's prime weakness is numerical inferiority. So avoid
contact
with your opponent and stay out of range of their weapons, but in your
range.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/

Prev: UBW Stars Next: Re: UBW Tech