Prev: Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap Next: Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap

Re: UBW Tech

From: DracSpy@a...
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 02:20:31 EST
Subject: Re: UBW Tech

***
Thanks for the warning:)
***
<< Before I get myself in trouble, this is 100% intended as constructive
 criticism--I think everyone playing with the DSII construction system
 has made these mistakes at least once.  Take it in the spirit
 intended--I know it gets a little. . . pushy at the end.

 > Mauler Tank: 			   Mass 	   Cost
 > 1x Size 4				   -		   20
 > 1x MDC/3 (Primary Turret)		   9		   30	   50
 > 1x HEL/1 (Turrets)			   2		   12	   62
 > 1x GSM/H (VLS) (Superior Guideance)	   4		   60	   122

 Three weapons systems?  Why?  You can only shoot one at a time.  Go for
 a size 5 MDC, throw the rest out.

***
These tanks are designed to emulate the idea behind the FCS that the
army is
working on.  It has a VLS in the back (it shows that this area can be
changed
to a 3-man recon team, this might be a better idea)
***

 > 1x Arty Observer			   -		   50	   172
 > 1x Local Air Defence 		   2		   75	   247

 You don't need that many FOs or LAD systems, but your funeral, not
 mine.	The temptation is to throw everything and the kitchen sink onto
 every tank.  It's too expensive, and less efficient.  Why spend almost
 700 points on a tank to do nothing in an activation
 but call for fire, when you can have an 80-point APC in it's own
 seperate platoon to do nothing but that?  Why stick a LAD on every tank
 when it's more efficient to have a dedicated ADS vehicle or two chopped
 down to the company to cover the entire thing?
***
I'll take that into consiteration, I'll remove them from all but one
tank per
platoon, I want the to be able to work on there own.
***

 > 1x Enhanced Point Defence System	   3		   45	   292
 > 1x Superior ECM			   -		   45	   337
 > 1x Stealth 3 			   -		   240	   577

 Diminishing returns get hit here--stealth 2 is all you need.
***
Okay, I'll do that
***

 > 1x FGP				   -		   23	   600
 > 1x Grav				   -		   38	   638
 > 1x Armor 4 Reactive			   -		   18	   656
 > 3x Superior Fire Control System	   -		   18	   674

 Multiple FiCons is a super-tank-only option.  Can't do it on size 5 or
 less vehicle.	And why have more ficons than weapons even if it was
 legal?  You know how I'd kill these?  Infantry--you've got nothing but
 one APSW.  Get rid of the crap and add APFCs and a spare APSW or three.
***
There is only one fire con, I just reprented the fact that there were
three
weapon systems that needed FiCons.
***

 > APC Version of the Mauler Tank:
 > 1x Size 4				   -		   20
 > 1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret)		   6		   20	   40
 > 1x HEL/1 (Turrets)			   2		   12	   52

 Again, too many guns.

***
Okay, I'll see what I can do about reducing that.
***

 > 1x Armor 4 Reactive			   -		   18	   571

 You shouldn't need reactive armor on an APC.  Against GMS/Hs it won't
 matter anyway, and against buzzbombs, you've fscked up royally if your
 power armor can't keep the evemy infantry away.

***
The Army is working on a methed by which that hull is used to generate a
Mag
field that will deflect the incoming projectile.
***

 > 3x Superior Fire Control System	   -		   12	   583

 Too many FiCons.
***
Refer to the above point about FiCons.
***

 > Missile Support version of the Mauler Tank:
 > 1x Size 4				   -		   20
 > 4x GSM/H (VLS) (Superior Guideance)	   16		   240	   260

 More than two GMS/Hs are overkill.  They all have to go at the same
 target, so why bother with more than two--on average, about half the
 GMSs I fire hit.  And about 5 out of 6 of those reduce their target to
 smouldering wreckage.	Pulling 20 chits, you are garunteed a systems
 down result.  And with 2xGMS/H, you can go for a size 2 chassis, which
 saves you a lot of points.  My favorite Tank Destroyer is the Romanus
 Lecapenus, at 201 points.  Let me assure you the sight of a platoon of
 these on the board (5xTD, 1xAPC) is enough to send some of my regular
 opponents into twitching fits.  Actually, all my Akritai do that.  I
 think they are the most cost-efficient troops I have.	:)
 ***
They are desgined to be based in the same hull, with a project that the
army
is working on (I have a lot of articles on what the army is doing, all
of it
is unclasifed, if you want them email me at IntrpdDDX@AOL.COM) that can
engade
upto six AFV at the same time, with a missile system, this AFV would
alow the
same idea.
***
 > 1x Arty Observer			   -		   50	   310

 It was a bad idea on the tanks, it's a worse one on the support
 vehicles.
***
Okay
***

 > MRLS version of the Mauler Tank:

 Actually, it's not.  MRLS is artillery system, this is direct-fire
 unguided rockets.  See comments about the GMS version, plus the
comments
 about multiple direct-fire systems and multiple firecontrols above.
***
Okay, I'll change this to a Arty, this would be a MRLS system, right?
***

 > Command Version of the Mauler Tank:
 > 1x Size 4				   -		   20
 > 1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret)		   6		   20	   40
 > 1x HEL/1 (Turrets)			   2		   12	   52

 Why?  Are you going to kiss the enemy, or kick his ass?  Pardon the
 vulgarity.  If you're going to kick him, you need much more ooomph.  If
 you're going to sit in the rear areas and contemplate your navel, you
 need to strip out the weapons to make room for a real PDS--your only
 threat is from aircraft firing GMSs.

***
It's based in the APC Version of the Mauler, look at the Bradly (sp?)
APC/IFV,
look at the weapons that it has, I think that you will see that it has
simular
weapons, please let me know if I'm wrong.
***

 > Area Defence Version of the Mauler Tank:
 > 1x Size 4				   -		   20
 > 1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret)		   6		   20	   40
 > 1x Arty Observer			   -		   50	   90

 No and HELL NO.  This thing has ONE, rpt, ONE function in life.  That's
 to shoot down aircraft and VTOLs.  You waste him for a turn on shooting
 at ground troopies, and that's the turn that every lizard-rapin'
 aerospace fighter in the world is going to dive in and bomb it to hell.
****
Okay, I'll change it so that it has better AD Weapons, then keep a few
tanks
around to keep the enemy away.
****

 > 1x Local Air Defence 		   2		   75	   165
 > 1x Basic Point Defence System	   2		   30	   195
 > 1x Superior ECM			   -		   45	   230
 > 1x Stealth 3 			   -		   240	   470

 Considering that an active ADS nullifies all stealth, you might as well
 save your money.  Ditto ECM.  So upgrade that PDS with the space you
 saved throwing out that MDC.  It'll save your life.
****
Okay, I'll take that under advicement.
****

 > 3x Superior Fire Control System	   -		   12	   631

 WTF are you thinking?	It almost made sense when you had three guns on
 your vehicle, it makes none here.
****
The same as above.
****

 > 1x Basic ADS 			   10		   200	   831

 Scrap the non-essentials, and you could stick an Enhanced ADS.
****
Okay.
****

 > Mech Inf Platoon:
 > 6x Heavy Grav APC
 > 6x Power Armour

 Kinda light on the Crunchies, but that's your call.
****
This is modeled as a Cav Troop (as discribed in Armored Cav, Tom
Clancy), the
reson for the large number of PA troops is to combat the enemy inf.

 > SLAM Battery:
 > 4x SLAM Carriers
 > 2x Air Defence Tanks

 What is the tactical function of this unit?  IOW, what can it do that
an
 MDC-armed platoon couldn't?
****
To meat the enemy and kick his *ss, but as you have pointed out that may
not
happen.

 John M. Atkinson

Thanks for your help.  I'll take that into account, after I reread the
rules.
-Stephen

Prev: Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap Next: Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap