Prev: Re: Killing torpedo fleets. Next: Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap

Re: UBW Tech

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:59:30 -0500
Subject: Re: UBW Tech

DracSpy@aol.com wrote:

Before I get myself in trouble, this is 100% intended as constructive
criticism--I think everyone playing with the DSII construction system
has made these mistakes at least once.	Take it in the spirit
intended--I know it gets a little. . . pushy at the end.

> Mauler Tank:				  Mass		  Cost
> 1x Size 4				  -		  20
> 1x MDC/3 (Primary Turret)		  9		  30	  50
> 1x HEL/1 (Turrets)			  2		  12	  62
> 1x GSM/H (VLS) (Superior Guideance)	  4		  60	  122

Three weapons systems?	Why?  You can only shoot one at a time.  Go for
a size 5 MDC, throw the rest out.

> 1x Arty Observer			  -		  50	  172
> 1x Local Air Defence			  2		  75	  247

You don't need that many FOs or LAD systems, but your funeral, not
mine.  The temptation is to throw everything and the kitchen sink onto
every tank.  It's too expensive, and less efficient.  Why spend almost
700 points on a tank to do nothing in an activation
but call for fire, when you can have an 80-point APC in it's own
seperate platoon to do nothing but that?  Why stick a LAD on every tank
when it's more efficient to have a dedicated ADS vehicle or two chopped
down to the company to cover the entire thing?

> 1x Enhanced Point Defence System	  3		  45	  292
> 1x Superior ECM			  -		  45	  337
> 1x Stealth 3				  -		  240	  577

Diminishing returns get hit here--stealth 2 is all you need.

> 1x FGP				  -		  23	  600
> 1x Grav				  -		  38	  638
> 1x Armor 4 Reactive			  -		  18	  656
> 3x Superior Fire Control System	  -		  18	  674

Multiple FiCons is a super-tank-only option.  Can't do it on size 5 or
less vehicle.  And why have more ficons than weapons even if it was
legal?	You know how I'd kill these?  Infantry--you've got nothing but
one APSW.  Get rid of the crap and add APFCs and a spare APSW or three.

> APC Version of the Mauler Tank:
> 1x Size 4				  -		  20
> 1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret)		  6		  20	  40
> 1x HEL/1 (Turrets)			  2		  12	  52

Again, too many guns.

> 1x Armor 4 Reactive			  -		  18	  571

You shouldn't need reactive armor on an APC.  Against GMS/Hs it won't
matter anyway, and against buzzbombs, you've fscked up royally if your
power armor can't keep the evemy infantry away.

> 3x Superior Fire Control System	  -		  12	  583

Too many FiCons.

> Missile Support version of the Mauler Tank:
> 1x Size 4				  -		  20
> 4x GSM/H (VLS) (Superior Guideance)	  16		  240	  260

More than two GMS/Hs are overkill.  They all have to go at the same
target, so why bother with more than two--on average, about half the
GMSs I fire hit.  And about 5 out of 6 of those reduce their target to
smouldering wreckage.  Pulling 20 chits, you are garunteed a systems
down result.  And with 2xGMS/H, you can go for a size 2 chassis, which
saves you a lot of points.  My favorite Tank Destroyer is the Romanus
Lecapenus, at 201 points.  Let me assure you the sight of a platoon of
these on the board (5xTD, 1xAPC) is enough to send some of my regular
opponents into twitching fits.	Actually, all my Akritai do that.  I
think they are the most cost-efficient troops I have.  :)

> 1x Arty Observer			  -		  50	  310

It was a bad idea on the tanks, it's a worse one on the support
vehicles.

> MRLS version of the Mauler Tank:

Actually, it's not.  MRLS is artillery system, this is direct-fire
unguided rockets.  See comments about the GMS version, plus the comments
about multiple direct-fire systems and multiple firecontrols above.

> Command Version of the Mauler Tank:
> 1x Size 4				  -		  20
> 1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret)		  6		  20	  40
> 1x HEL/1 (Turrets)			  2		  12	  52

Why?  Are you going to kiss the enemy, or kick his ass?  Pardon the
vulgarity.  If you're going to kick him, you need much more ooomph.  If
you're going to sit in the rear areas and contemplate your navel, you
need to strip out the weapons to make room for a real PDS--your only
threat is from aircraft firing GMSs.

> Area Defence Version of the Mauler Tank:
> 1x Size 4				  -		  20
> 1x MDC/2 (Primary Turret)		  6		  20	  40
> 1x Arty Observer			  -		  50	  90

No and HELL NO.  This thing has ONE, rpt, ONE function in life.  That's
to shoot down aircraft and VTOLs.  You waste him for a turn on shooting
at ground troopies, and that's the turn that every lizard-rapin'
aerospace fighter in the world is going to dive in and bomb it to hell.

> 1x Local Air Defence			  2		  75	  165
> 1x Basic Point Defence System 	  2		  30	  195
> 1x Superior ECM			  -		  45	  230
> 1x Stealth 3				  -		  240	  470

Considering that an active ADS nullifies all stealth, you might as well
save your money.  Ditto ECM.  So upgrade that PDS with the space you
saved throwing out that MDC.  It'll save your life.

> 3x Superior Fire Control System	  -		  12	  631

WTF are you thinking?  It almost made sense when you had three guns on
your vehicle, it makes none here.

> 1x Basic ADS				  10		  200	  831

Scrap the non-essentials, and you could stick an Enhanced ADS.

> Mech Inf Platoon:
> 6x Heavy Grav APC
> 6x Power Armour

Kinda light on the Crunchies, but that's your call.

> SLAM Battery:
> 4x SLAM Carriers
> 2x Air Defence Tanks

What is the tactical function of this unit?  IOW, what can it do that an
MDC-armed platoon couldn't?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Killing torpedo fleets. Next: Re: GZG Encyclopedia Starmap