Prev: Re: MEKO Ships, OUDF and all that Next: Star Trek Mins

Re: hello

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 02:12:31 +1000
Subject: Re: hello

cgray wrote:

> when using the original rules for movement It goes
drift/turn/acceleration
> correct?

As I understand it, here are examples:

At beginning of turn, speed is 8 (Thrust 4)

Orders are: Accel 2, Left 2. (ie +2 L2).

Speed is now 8+2=10.

So turn left 30' at beginning, move 5", turn another 30' then move
another 5".

At beginning of Turn, speed is 10. Thrust is now 2, fue to some damage.

Orders are: Decel 1, Right 1 (ie -1,R1)

Speed is now 10-1=9.

So move forward 4.5", then turn 30', then move another 4.5".

> why build big ships ?? I have been decimating the other players with
small
> 20 and 30 ton vessels armed with SML and ER missles or just loaded
with
> fighter bays ?? at about 100 per ships I get about 8 for every large
ship
> they bring in so I hit them with either 8 salvos of SML or 16
squadrons of
> fighters what gives here is it something we are missing or.....maybe
our
> ships arent designed well any help would be appreciated

1. Wave Guns. They clear away the dross.

2. If you're not into such sillinesses, then try a balanced fleet. One
with a core of SDNs, and then a number of corvettes. With some judicious
manoeuvering, that salvo of 6 SMRs will target the closest ship, a mass
6 corvette rather than a mass 160 SDN.

3. PDS and ADAFs combined with the fighter morale rules drastically
reduce fighters to impotence. Even without fighter morale, it's nasty
when your 10+ fighter groups are facing 30+ PDS/ADAFs. Which is not
unreasonable, 5 Beijing-Bs will do that.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: MEKO Ships, OUDF and all that Next: Star Trek Mins