Prev: [TEST] I've got the POWER!!! Next: Re: Starmap Page for Encyclopedia

Re: [FT and (!!) SG & DS] Population and military

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:59:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT and (!!) SG & DS] Population and military

Laserlight wrote:

> Pretty much.	The Alarishi Empire focuses on the Fleet for several
reasons:
> 1) Given that the AE has lots of little chunks of real estate
scattered all
> over, there's not much point to having a  base here, a base there, to
try to
> defend with--they would just be expenses which the invader could
easily
> avoid.  Visniy Alarish itself is an exception.

Right.. .

> 2) Some asteroids have pacifist habitants, and it  isn't reasonable to
> expect  the Poor Claires, for example, to man--or nun--defense
> installations.  This does not apply across the board, of course, and
some
> sovereignties are armed to the teeth, ranging from the Knights Templar
> through Han Bank down to Jack Old Ron, undisputed ruler and sole
occupant of
> a 90 meter rock bearing 2 PDS and a Class 3 beam.

I like his planet.  Good set-up.  Make note not to bother him.	And I'm
still salivating over the chance to propose the Templar ground forces
after I'm done with everything else. . . :)  So let me see, that's
1)Finish New Jordan[1], 2)Do New Israel, 3)Grand Company (bunch of
Spanish-speaking FSE dregs), and 4)Templars.  I won't be bored. . .
Anyone who wants to help/have input, please contact!

> 3) The Empire has a permanent manpower shortage, and a battlecruiser
is
> generally a better force multiplier for a 100 crew than a couple of
platoons
> would be.
> 4) I'd rather play FT/FB than DS2.

Well, of course!  And that's what it's all about--find what you like,
and then make up your background to make it work.

John M. Atkinson

[1]First Draft Ground Forces up at
http://www.angelfire.com/va/basileus/NewJordan.html

Prev: [TEST] I've got the POWER!!! Next: Re: Starmap Page for Encyclopedia