Prev: Re: Life around an M-class star Next: RE: Planetery Defense Batteries

Re: Planetery Defense Batteries

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:52:29 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Planetery Defense Batteries

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, John Leary wrote:
[snip]
> Micheal,
>      I am rather against the concept of having 'beams' on planets.
> An orbital battle station/s is better for the 'space' aspect of
> FT.	Another reason, perhaps more valid in game justification
> terms, would be: Ortillery has no reason to exist if the beams
> can reach the ground.

Well, ground-based defense systems that can reach orbit should be
allowed to
exist - there are just too many good (and bad!) Sci-Fi books that use
this
concept.  You can rationalize it in that the installations of
ground-based
defenses aren't size/weight limited like a shipboard system is, but that
power
limitations and/or atmospheric/weather/gravitic/whatever effects of the
planet
prevent them from reaching beyond near-orbit.

That would still preserve the need for ortillery, yet allow a "well
defended"
planet to install both OWPs (orbital weapons platforms, which can be
attacked
from space), and GDSs (ground defense systems) that must be attacked by
ortillery.

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
  visit the Gear Locker at http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: Re: Life around an M-class star Next: RE: Planetery Defense Batteries