Prev: (GZG Encyclopedia) Hey how can I contribute? Next: Huh?

Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:39:02 +1300
Subject: Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.

>Don't buy that.  :)
    Well, that is what DSII models! :-)

>Yeah.	Your Steel Panters unit reflects how the Real World works.
>Sure.
    Having little experience with the US military here in New Zealand, I
can't really say, except from reading books and playing the computer
games.
I found Patriot batteries to be effective, so I use them. :-) I'm sure
that
other generals will have the same attitude. Use what works, discard the
ineffective.

>Right.  But note the way this works--the Battleship is NOT part of the
>Marine force.	It's somewhere off the table.
    That's right. It's definitely not part of the on-table force. It's a
supporting force that provides support. It's an off table force that may
or
may not be available to the Marine force, depending upon it's
availability.

The Marines call back, and
>ASK for it.  If it doesn't come, they have no idea why--they may never
>find out why.	It could be busy flattening something else deep in the
>enemy's rear, it could be providing fire suport for the next batallion
>over, or it could be fighting for it's life against the entire enemy
>Navy.
    Which is what my Limited Availablility rule simulates so well. Take
the
example of the 66 point FT:FB orbital bombardment space ship. Spending
the
full 6,600 DSII points gets the full attention of the 'ship. Say we
wanted
to save some points, and the player only buys 20% availability, which
costs
only 1,320 points. Whenever the Marines force calls for the ship to
fire,
roll the availability dice. If the roll succeeds, the 'ship is available
for
firing at targets.
    If the roll fails, the ship is off doing something else. The marines
don't know why, the on-table commander doesn't know why. The 'ship could
be
"flattening something else deep in the enemies rear, it could be
providing
fire support for the next battalion over, or it could be fighting for
it's
life against the entire enemy navy". This model seems to fit your
requirements exactly!

>No more reason to model this than there is model the intricacies
>of air warfare/air defense.  You simply roll the dice and say, "Damn,
>that battleship isn't responding!"
    That's my rule for Limited Availability! Roll that D100, fail to get
01-20 on the dice and say, "Damn, that 'ship isn't responding!" Isn't
this
what you want?

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz ICQ: 26227169
Blind See-Saw, DSII, DSII FAQ, GZG-L email FAQ, FUDGE, UY, MSH & WBG:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/

Prev: (GZG Encyclopedia) Hey how can I contribute? Next: Huh?