Prev: Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels. Next: RE: FCT working group

Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 19:03:42 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, John M. Atkinson wrote:

> Thomas Anderson wrote:
>
> > anyway, somewhat larger than the engagements most of us look at,
anyhow.
> > twenty-eight battleships! *fifty-one* destroyers. you'd probably
take as
> > many casualties from arithmetic errors as from enemy fire.
>
> 28 Battleships. . . given that I'm looking at a High Space Fleet of
> 6xSuper Dreadnoughts, 12xDreadnoughts, 5xCVA, 71 cruisers, and about
80
> escorts, yeah, that's a little bit big.

interesting; you seem to be far more cruiser-heavy. i think around ww1
the
cruiser was used as a scout, and a bit as a flank guard for the
battleships. i imagine this is how most ft fleets are - people
instinctively go for a pyramid of numbers from capitals at the top to
escorts at the bottom.

>  You might run into that large a
> force if and only if an entire Fleet were deployed, reinforced by the
> capital ships from another fleet.

that is pretty much what the rn fleet at jutland was.

Tom

Prev: Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels. Next: RE: FCT working group