Prev: Re: [slightly OT]SF novels with GZG-ness Next: Re: [FT] After action report: Ring Around the Starbase

Re: ARRRGHHHH!!! ( Was Re: Rules for BFG/FT Conversion.)

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:51:56 -0600
Subject: Re: ARRRGHHHH!!! ( Was Re: Rules for BFG/FT Conversion.)

John C wrote:

> What exactly is giving you so much trouble when getting them to "fight
> correctly"?  Is it movement or combat?  Or is it simply impossible to
> re-create the BFG ships using FT rules?  Have you tried
> reverse-engineering them?  You should be able to get an approximate
> point cost, at least, that way.

	Opps... Typo... I meant "fit correctly."  I've tried to use my
conversion rules to convert several of the BFG ships to FT 2.5.  First I
figure out the MASS of the weapons and systems.  Then I try to build the
rest of the ship around it.  I quickly discover that no matter how much
overal MASS I make the ship, I can't get it the way I want it.	Here's
an example of what I mean:

Lunar Class Crusier				MASS
MASS 130, 39 DP, Average Hull			39
Thrust Rating 4 				26
FTL						13
2 Fire Cons					 2
3 Points of armor				 3
Level 1 screen					 6

Armament:
6x 2 arc Class 2 batteries			12
Class 4 Lance system with 2 standard emitters.	16
1 SML with a 4 load Magazine.			11
2 PDS						 2
						---
				 Total Mass:	130

	That is my final attempt at a Lunar Class Cruiser.  On it's
face, it
looks fine.  But it doesn't seem to fit my vision of the ship.	First of
all, I intended to give it a strong rated hull to give better chance of
surviving ramming under my proposed damage rules (BTW, what does
everyone think of those rules?).  I also wanted to give it more armor
points than 3 and a level 2 screen.

	Know I think I can do a couple of things to help get me to this
goal.
First, I can reduce the thrust rating to 2.  I can also change the MASS
formula from 3 x Rating to 2 x Rating.	I figure the this will give me
17 more MASS points to play with.  Enough to give it a strong hull and 4
more points of armor, but nothing for a screen upgrade.

	Granted this is merely a playtest ship from WD 225, and we don't
know
what the final version will look like.	Also I can scrap the
construction system altogether and take JTs suggestion to put together
the ships the way I want.  However, I confess that I'm a little anal
retentive and I feel "dirty" if I can't use the construction system.

	<SOB!>	I need help!
--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	"[When people] say 'let's do something about it,'
they mean 'lets get hold of the political machinery so that
we can do something to somebody else.' And that somebody is
invariably you."
					--Frank Chodorov

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: Re: [slightly OT]SF novels with GZG-ness Next: Re: [FT] After action report: Ring Around the Starbase